Almost Home Kids
7 S 721 Rte. 53
Naperville, IL 60540 (Woodridge township)
Name and Position of Contact Person:
Lisa Snow, Community Outreach Coordinator
** Email is preferred choice of communication
Days/Hours Available for Service Learners:
Any day between the hours of 10 a.m. & 7 p.m. (limit of 2 hours/day)
Description of Organization:
Almost Home Kids located in unincorporated Naperville (Lisle/Woodridge Township) IL, provides a Transitional Care Program for children with complicated health care needs who are ready to be discharged from a hospital but for whom preparations at home need to be made. In a comforting, homelike setting, children receive 24-hour medical and nursing care from pediatric nurses. Please look at our website before deciding if AHK is the right place for you to volunteer. I will be registering students at the COD Service Learning Fair!
Description of Service Learner Role:
Interact appropriately with a child who is medically fragile according to the age of development and capabilities of the child. Engage the children with sensory toys, board games, reading books, music, rocking babies and providing companionship. Many of our children rely on quite a bit of technology for their daily existence (trachs, ventilators, heart monitors & feeding tubes) and often are not verbal or mobile, so that is something you would need to be comfortable with.
- Complete an on-line application form
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation (will be contacted by Lisa Snow regarding orientation date)
- Current negative TB test (within last 12 months) before the Orientation
- Flu shot during Flu season – October 1st to May 1st before the Orientation
- Background check with DCFS (agency will file)
- Color copy of Driver's License (front side only)
- Commitment to volunteer schedule of a minimum of 4 hours/month for a minimum of 4 consecutive months
- Understanding of children with special medical needs
Number of Placements Available:
10 per semester
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage