Presidential Scholars Service Component
All Presidential Scholars are required to complete twenty hours of approved volunteer service during the first year of the scholarship. Scholars will work with the Career Services office to fulfill this requirement. Scholars can fulfill the 20 hours of service using one of the following methods:
College of DuPage offers a number of service learning courses that bridge volunteer service with academic learning.Courses generally require students in the class to complete twenty hours of service to meet course requirements. Service Learning courses are taught in a number of disciplines.
Presidential Scholars may choose to fulfill the twenty hours of service at a location of his or her choosing. Students who select this option will need to have the service site approved by Career Services. Scholars will receive detailed information about how to gain approval for a site within the first few weeks of the fall term.
Please note the following Presidential Scholars Service Requirements:
- All hours must be completed during the first year to qualify for a second year award.
- Scholars may only count service hours that occur after the first day of Fall Semester (August 22, 2016).
- All service hours must be completed by Friday, March 24, 2017. Each scholar is required to verify completion of their hours with the Presidential Scholars Hours Log.
- All twenty service hours must be completed at a single site location that meets the
- Must be a not-for-profit or 501c3 organization
- Must be an organization whose mission and work address community needs
- Must either be an official College of DuPage service learning partner or be approved by the Career Services Center
- Volunteer work at the service site may not involve the teaching of any religious ideologies (i.e. teaching Sunday school, leading a youth group, etc.)
- Service sites not approved by the Career Services Center may not count towards the twenty hour service requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use service hours completed over the summer to count toward my 20 hours?
- When do my service hours have to be completed?
- If my service learning class does not require a full twenty hours of service do I still need to do the full twenty hours?
- I can't find any service learning courses in MyAccess. How do I find them?
- Where do I go to find the Presidential Scholars Hours Log?
- If I'm in a service learning course, do I still need to complete the Presidential Scholars Hours Log?
No. All volunteer service hours must be completed on or after the first day of Fall session.
All service hours for Presidential Scholars have to be completed by Friday, March 24, 2017. This may mean that hours for service learning courses will need to be completed prior to the course deadline date.
3. If my service learning class does not require a full 20 hours of volunteer service do I still need to do the full twenty hours?
Yes. All Presidential Scholars need to complete a full twenty hours of service.
Service Learning courses are not currently identified in MyAccess but are listed on the Service Learning website.
The Hours Log can be found at the top of this page on the right hand side.
6. If I'm in a service learning course, do I still need to complete the Presidential Scholars Hours Log?
Yes. Make two copies of the Presidential Hours Log. One for yourself and one for Career
Services and drop it off in SSC 3258.
You will also make three copies of the Service Learning Hours Log.
One for yourself, one for your instructor and one for Career Services and drop it off in SSC 3258.
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2016 College of DuPage