Day of Action
Fall 2017 Day of Action "Manual Labor of Love": 480 Hours of Service in One Day!
Armed with rakes, sponges and work gloves, 120 COD Cares Action Heroes boarded shuttle buses and minivans heading for 12 locations throughout DuPage County for the Manual Labor of Love Serve-a-thon Thursday, Oct. 26. Thanks to Heroes who worked hard at these organizations:
- 360 Youth Services: deep cleaned Cornerstone Group Home
- Almost Home Kids: Stored lawn furniture and laid sod
- Bridge Communities: winterized yard and power washed garage
- COD Prairie: cut back invasive plants and processed seeds
- Family Shelter Services: fall clean up at group home
- Family Shelter Services Second Chance Resale Shop: sorted and organized merchandise
- Hope House: prepared donated socks for distribution to homeless shelters
- Humanitarian Service Project: Prepared holiday toys and gifts for Head Start program
- Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans: winterized yards and clean out garages at two shelters
- Peoples Resource Center: cleaned and stocked Westmont food pantry
- Willowbrook Wildlife Center: cleared walking paths and distributed seeds
- World Relief: washed and detailed vans used to transport refugees
Spring 2017 Day of Action "Fur and Feathers"
Thanks to all the volunteers who participated in the Spring 2017 Day of Action on Tuesday, April 11! More than 400 students, faculty, staff preschool students from COD's Early Childhood Education Center got together for "pet-centric" activities benefiting DuPage County Animal Care and Control, A.D.O.P.T., Naperville Area Humane Society and Willowbrook Wildlife Center.
Volunteers worked really hard on projects that benefit our local animal-loving organizations.
- Created 120 wild bird feeders,
- Made 300 no-bake doggie treats,
- Potted 350 cat grass plants,
- Crafted 100 braided t-shirt chew toys and
- Donated pet food, cat litter, and supplies for area shelters.
In addition, students and faculty took the COD Cares Challenge, sharing anonymous acts of kindness they performed or received that were read by associate professor Jason Florin and students in his human services class.
Participants also enjoyed treats from the "Granola Bar" before visiting with comfort dogs provided by Lutheran Church Charities K-9 Ministry and Naperville Area Humane Society.
View photos of the puppies and their pals here.
Community Relations Coordinator
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage