Day of Action
Manual Labor of Love
Thursday, October 20, 2016
10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
(Ice Cream Social at 1:00 p.m. to share the day's service stories)
During the first-ever COD Cares Serve-a-thon, Action Heroes will take their skills and talents on the road to 10 secret sites throughout the COD District. We will work hard for the benefit of deserving non-profit organizations, smile a lot, and positively impact as many residents as possible!
Lunch, supplies, and refreshments will be provided to the courageous people who have taken a chance on this new type of COD Cares adventure. Transportation will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
OUR GOAL: At least 50 Action Heroes to celebrate COD's 50th Anniversary
OUR GUARANTEE: You will be tired, but very rewarded at the end of the day!
HOW IT WORKS:
Create a crew and select a chief. (If you sign up as an individual, you will be randomly assigned to a crew.) Crews will travel to a secret location, learn about the deserving non-profit organization, and be prepared to either paint, clean, landscape, sort donations, or garden. Lunches will be delivered from the closest freaky fast Jimmy John's at approximately 11:45 a.m. Crews will return to COD main campus by 1 p.m. for optional Ice Cream Social to share the day's service stories.
- Transportation to and from project sites will be provided on COD fleet vehicles for up to six groups on a first-come, first-served basis. Carpooling is encouraged.
- This activity is open to staff and students. Please spread the word!
- Lunch, snacks and water will be provided on site. (You may also bring your own sack lunch, if you prefer)
- Please note: If your crew is large, we may need to separate into two groups. If the crew is small, we will add Action Heroes to your site.
- Feel free to bring your own work gloves and make sure to wear your COD Cares t-shirt, work clothes, and close-toed shoes.
- A maximum of 4 Compensated Service Hours are available with supervisory approval and if the employee would otherwise be working during the time frame of the activity. Click here for instructions on how to make use of your compensated service hours for this activity.
- More details will be provided as the date gets closer.
- We will be working indoors and outdoors. If you have a preference, please let us know and we will try to accommodate your request.
- Health restrictions? We can work with that! Please let us know if you have allergies to any cleaning products (latex included) or physical restrictions such as lifting.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
As a crew: Gather and send names of participants to CODCares@cod.edu along with crew name by Wednesday, 10/12.
As an individual: Send your name to CODCares@cod.edu by Wednesday, 10/12.
Please indicate any preferences/restrictions (see directly above) and t-shirt size if new Action Hero.
Community Relations Coordinator
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2016 College of DuPage