GIVING GARLAND PROJECT
The Giving Garland is currently displayed along the large window wall in the SSC Atrium. All 50 tags have been claimed by COD staff and students! By taking a tag, they have promised to purchase a minimum of $25 worth of suggested gifts for children in DuPage County through Humanitarian Service Project who may not otherwise receive gifts this season.
If you took one, please make sure to send an email to CODCares@cod.edu with the following information:
- Your name
- Child's name
- Child's family number
Please bring the gifts together with the associated COD Cares tag for wrapping to the Giving Garland Holiday Event on Thursday, Dec. 18 or Community Relations office (BIC 1645) by Wednesday, Dec 17. See below for more information about the event.
COLLECTION BINS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH THURS., DEC. 18. Teens and seniors from Metropolitan Family Services will also find joy through donated gift items that are collected in the COD Cares bins in the SSC Atrium and the MAC. Here are some suggested gift items:
- Nail polish
- Hair accessories
- Costume jewelry
- Fashion scarves
- Team apparel
- Hair products
- Slipper socks
- Lap blankets
- Books (large print, if possible)
- Knitting kits
- Winter outerwear
- Holiday lotions
- Flameless candles
GIVING GARLAND HOLIDAY EVENT
All collected gifts will be wrapped by COD Cares Action Heroes at the Giving Garland Holiday Event on Thursday, Dec. 18 in SRC 2000 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Enjoy a feature length version of the classic movie Elf, holiday cookies and beverages.
*The first 30 people to arrive donned in ugly holiday garb will receive a special gift!
**All available shifts to wrap presents are filled.
Additional Holiday Giving Opportunities
- The Bloomingdale Township Volunteer Council invites you to brighten the season for eligible families on their "Adopt a Family" list. With your help, they can supply hundreds of holiday food baskets to Township families in need. Call 630-529-9993 for more information.
- Holiday bakers are needed to bring good cheer! Find out how to share your favorite cookies with those served by Advocate Hospice. Check the website for more dates and drop off information.
Community Organizations Requesting COD Cares Support
- Ray Graham Association is looking for a few do-it-yourselfers to help assemble grills, exercise bikes and furniture to be used in the many group homes throughout the County. If you love projects and would like to give back to the community, please contact Linda Gurgone, director of grants, at 630-620-2222 or by email at LindaG@Raygraham.org.
- DuPage Pads is committed to ending homelessness in our community. Their Interim Housing Program needs your help. To find out how you can be part of the solution, click the link.
- Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans in Wheaton provides transitional and affordable housing programs and supportive services to U.S. Veterans of any era to help them out of homelessness and back to useful, productive lives. They are currently looking for assistance with serving meals, painting and landscaping the shelter. To offer your time and talent, click on the link above.
COD Cares About What You Care About
Which charity calls you an "Action Hero"? Email CODCares@cod.edu to tell us about your favorite national or local District 502 organization and why it is special to you! We can include it on this page or add it to our growing list of monthly group service activities.
Ami Chambers, Community Relations Coordinator, (630) 942-3823
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2014 College of DuPage