Carol J. Riphenburg
Carol J. Riphenburg, Ph.D.
Professor, Political Science
Office: Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2604C
- Ph.D. University of Nebraska
- M.A. Georgetown University
- B.A. University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
Areas of Research Interest:
- Middle East
- North Africa (Maghreb)
- Afghan Women
- Book: Afghanistan in Ferment: Dynamics of State, Religion, and Global Change
- Teach-in on Terrorism
- Dialogs: Global Perspectives of U.S./Islam, Gender and Social Change
Selected Publications, Presentations, Books:
- "Afghanistan: Out of the Globalization Mainstream?" Third World Quarterly . Vol. 27, no. 3 (2006) pp. 507-24.
- "Women, Gender and Development Discourses and Practices: Afghanistan," Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. Leiden: Brill, 2005.
- "Electoral Systems in Divided Societies: The Case of Afghanistan," British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies (Forthcoming).
- "Afghanistan's Constitution: Success or Sham?," Middle East Policy, Vol. XII, no. 1 (Spring 2005), pp. 31-43.
- "Ethnicity and Civil Society in Contemporary Afghanistan," Middle East Journal, Vol. 59, no. 1 (Winter 2005), pp. 31-51.
- "Gender Relations and Development in a Weak State: the Rebuilding of Afghanistan," Central Asian Survey, Vol. 22: 2/3 (2003).
- Post-Taliban Afghanistan: Changed Outlook for Women? Asian Survey XLIV, no. 3 (May/June 2004): 401-21.
- "Changing Gender Relations and the Development Process in Oman," in Islam, Gender and Social Change . J.L. Esposito and Y.Y. Haddad, eds. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998, pp. 144-168.
- "Women's Status and Cultural Expression: Changing Gender Relations and Structural Adjustment in Zimbabwe," Africa Today. Vol. 44, no. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1997, pp. 33-49).
- Oman: Political Development in a Changing World . Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 1998.
- "Gender Relations and Development in Yemen: Participation and Employment," Peacekeeping and International Relations. Vol. 28, no. 3 (May-June 1999), pp. 5-17, 22.
- "Changing Gender Relations and Development in Yemen: Education, Family, Health and Fertility, Cultural Expression," Southeastern Political Review . Vol. 28, no. 4 (December 2000), pp. 715-743.
- Oman: Political Development in a Changing World. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 1998.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Fulbright Middle East and North Africa Regional Research Grant, Senior Scholar in Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia, 8/16-12/17/06.
- Southwest China CIEE Faculty Professional Development Trip, 6/5-17/2006.
- AIYS Fellowship Program, US Scholars in Residence, Spring 1999
- Non-teaching Assignment, College of DuPage, 1999
- Malone Fellow, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, 1996
- Fulbright Group Project Abroad: Zimbabwe, 1995
- Japan CIEE Seminar, 1995
- CCID Faculty Exchange, Czech Technical University, Preague, 8-12/91
- American Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- Middle East Institute
- Middle East Studies Association
2014 College of DuPage