Tel.: (630) 942-3406
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2729A
Areas of Research Interest:
- Adult Second Language Acquisition
- Interdisciplinary Education
- Place and Community-Based Studies
- Ecological Literacy and Environmental Studies
Recent Courses Taught:
- Seed, Soil and the Soul: - A combination of Introduction to Literature and Humans and the Environment, co-taught with a Biology Professor, focusing on food, culture and agriculture
- The Environment on Screen - A combination of Film as Literature and Humans and the Environment, co-taught with a Biology Professor
- The Literature of Life - A combination of Introduction to Literature and Introduction to Biology, co-taught with a Biology Professor
- Creative Writing
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Short Fiction
- Creative Non-Fiction Memoir
- Short story collection
Selected Publications, Presentations, Performances, Books:
- The Children of Perestroika Come of Age: Young People of Moscow Talk About Life in the New Russia. M.E. Sharpe, Armonk, N.Y
- The Children of Perestroika: Moscow Teenagers Talk About Their Lives and the Future. M.E. Sharpe, Inc. Armonk, N.Y.
- "Don't Be Sad in Paradise" "The Faye Stories" "La Loca" "Brownsville" "Turn the Other Cheek" "A Simple Matter" "Following the Waters"
- "A Mother and Daughter on the Subject of Men"
- "Reflections From the Garden"
- "The Boy Who Would Have Been"
- "After Graduation, What? The Value of an Education in the New Order"
- "Russian Youth and Modernity"
- "Between Doubt and Faith," Review of S.L. Wisenberg's The Sweetheart Is In, Review of Russia's Youth and Its Culture: A Nation's Constructors and Constructed
Selected recent conference presentations:
- Twentieth Century Language and Literature (University of Louisville) February 2007
- Western States Rhetoric and Literacy (University of Utah) 2006
- Illinois Philological Association (DePaul University 2006)
- Consortium of International and Experiential Education (Miami 2005)
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (San Francisco 2004)
Awards and Honors
- Finalist Guild Complex Fiction Series 2005
- Residencies at the Ragdale Foundation, a colony for writers and artists.
- Pushcart nominations for "La Loca" and "The Boy Who Would Have Been"
- Quarter finalist, New Century Writers' Contest, "As If By Accident"
- Editorial Board, Open Words
- Society of Midland Authors
- Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment
- Midwestern Environmental Educators Association
- Co-founder and Director, College of DuPage Community Organic Garden
- Book Across Campus, College of DuPage
- 1984 plus 20 Orwell Project at College of DuPage (in conjunction with the NCTE national project)
- Ph.D. New York University
- M.A. New School for Social Research
- B.A. University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Awards and Recognitions:
- Residencies at the Ragdale Foundation, a colony for writers and artists
- Pushcart nomination for "The Boy Who Would Have Been" and "LaLoca"
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage