Tel.: (630) 942-3291
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2729D
Areas of Research Interest:
- Science, religion, and the nature writer
- Henry David Thoreau: life and works
- Lakota culture and society
- The evolving role of creative writing courses and programs in two year colleges
Recent Courses Taught:
- English 1101, 1102 - Composition
- English 1130 - Introduction to Literature
- English 1150 - Short Fiction
- English 2250- Intro to Creative Writing
- English 2251 - Fiction Writing
- English 2253 - Creative Nonfiction
- Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father’s Search for the Wild. Boston: Beacon Press, 2012.
- Steady and Trembling: Art, Faith and Family in an Uncertain World. St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2005.
Selected Publications and Books (feature essays):
- “Window on His World.” Notre Dame Magazine. Notre Dame UP. Fall, 2010
- "Dancing Geckos." Across Cultures: A Reader for Writers, 8th Ed. NY: Pearson. 2010.
- “The Seasoning of Lake Glass.” Notre Dame Magazine. Notre Dame UP. Summer, 2009.
- “Saunter: A Conversation with Henry David Thoreau.” The Iowa Review. Univ. Iowa Press,2009.
- "The Art of Dying." Orion magazine, Sept. 2008
- "Coming Back Home," Boston Globe, July 12, 2008,
- "Coyotes: Amid the Sprawl, on the Prowl," Chicago Tribune, March, 30, 2008.
- "Writing Fathers: Lessons from a six-year-old," Chicago Tribune, June 15, 2008.
- "In Plain Sight," Fourth Genre (MI State UP), Fall, 2007. Reprinted in Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers on/of Creative Nonfiction, 5th Ed. New York: Pearson.
- "To Box the Wind," Riverteeth. Nebraska UP. Fall. 2007.
- " The Shock of the Old," The Boston Globe. August 5, 2007.
- M.A. Religion, Chicago Theological Seminary
- M.A. Writing, University of Iowa
- B.A. English Education, University of Iowa
Awards and Recognitions:
- 2008: University of Iowa Nonfiction Program Fellowship, La Muse Residency, La Bastide, France.
- 2006: Henry Luce Foundation Artist-in-Residence, Chicago Theological Seminary, Chicago, IL.
Personal website: http://tommontgomeryfate.com/author.html