Tel.: (630) 942-2415
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2729E
Areas of Interest:
- Theoretical linguistics
- International Corpus of English, part of the Survey of English Usage at University College London. (The Survey is the largest, ongoing research project in language study in this century, and probably the next.)
- IAI English Majors Panel
- Title VI-A Project: Promoting Global Literacy
- Curriculum Subcommittee
- Newly forming Russia Committee in International Studies
Selected Publications, Presentations, Performances, Books:
- "Of Emoticons and Nonce Spellings: Changes in English Due to Its Use as the Language of the Internet," a workshop for the APIRS Conference, July 11-13, 2002, at PUCRS, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande Do Sul , Brazil, July 13, 2002.
- "Teaching Grammar To Improve Writing Style And To Learn About English Literature," a workshop for the APIRS Conference, July 11-13, 2002, at PUCRS, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande Do Sul , Brazil, July 12, 2002.
- "Hearing Voices: On the Mismatch between Perception and Reality in U.S. Attitudes Toward English as a Global Language," the Plenary Lecture for the TESOL-ELT Conference, Samara, Russia, May 6, 2002.
- A series of lectures at Moscow City Pedagogical University, Samara Affiliate, Samara, Russia, May 4-7, 2002.
- "Virtual Classrooms - Real Learning," presented at the Faculty Integrating Technology Workshop, Waubonsee Community College, Sugar Grove, Illinois, June 19, 2000.
- "Dancing with Change: Library Services for Distance Learning," a live 90-minute teleconference dealing with the decisions that must be made by library leaders, June 16, 2000.
- Composition - Online: A First Year Composition Course via the Internet, Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace, 1999. Sample chapters available online at my web site (http://papyr.com/hbp).
- "Disadvantaging the Disadvantaged?" ASCILITE 99 Conference Proceedings: Responding
to Diversity, (Jenny Winn, ed.), Brisbane: Queensland University of Technology, 1999,
pp. 111-124. Presented originally at the ASCILITE 99 Conference, Queensland University
of Technology, Brisbane, Australia, December 6, 1999.
- BA, MA, PhD English Linguistics, U. of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Awards and Recognition:
- Plenary Lecturer for the annual Russian/Central Asian TESOL-ELT Conference, Samara, Russia, May 6, 2002.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2016 College of DuPage