Assistant Director Application
The Costa Rica Summer Study Abroad Program is a five-week program developed and administered by College of DuPage on behalf of ICISP. The program was established in 1993 and has been extremely successful in meeting student needs and expectations.
The program offers students up to 7 semester hours of credit in Spanish language (all levels) and Culture and Civilization of Costa Rica. Language instruction takes place at the Costa Rican Language Adademy (CRLA) in San José, Costa Rica. Classes are limited to eight to 10 students who receive four hours of language instruction Monday through Thursday. The Culture and Civilization of Costa Rica class is taught by the COD/ICISP instructors and consists of lectures and discussions, accompanied by field trips and activities designed to engage students in active learning and discovery.
Student Enrollment: 40
Since 1996, ICISP has been sending an individual from an ICISP institution to serve as assistant director/visiting professor. This person is selected on a competitive basis in the fall when interested individuals are invited to submit an application.
Responsibilities of ICISP Assistant Director
Recruit students for the program by making slide presentations, holding information sessions
- Participate in two-day pre-departure orientation at College of DuPage
- Work as a team with the COD directors in administering the program in Costa Rica
- Perform other duties as needed by ICISP and/or COD
- Interest in studying and learning about Costa Rica
- Good interpersonal relations with students and colleagues
- Commitment to professional development
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to different cultural settings
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable but not required (formal language study in Costa Rica
is encouraged, where appropriate)
COD will screen candidates and recommend up to three candidates for interviews. Finalists will be interviewed and a selection made by a team consisting of COD staff and an ICISP representative.
ICISP Member Institution Commitment
- Salary for five weeks
- Release time, if necessary, to participate in recruitment activities and 2-day orientation
- Room and board in Costa Rica
- Round-trip air transportation to Costa Rica
- All administrative expenses related to project management and student supervision
while in Costa Rica
Out-of Pocket Expenses
- All meals not provided in the housing arrangements in Costa Rica
- Transportation to and from the orientation at COD
- Transportation to and from O'Hare Airport
- Miscellaneous expenses related to obtaining documents such as passport, etc.
- Application will be due by October 15 each year, but will continue to be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
- All duties, as outlined and appropriate, will commence as soon as the candidate is selected.
Field and Experiential Learning/Study Abroad
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3509
General inquiries: (630) 942-2356
Maren McKellin, Manager
Field Studies Center (West Campus):