Our writing coaches work to:
- Understand what features or stages of the writing process the writer has used to compose their work.
- Understand how a writer's thinking about an assignment has affected the written draft.
- Listen carefully to the writer's explanation of the assignment and help the writer deepen his or her sense of audience expectations.
- Help the writer carefully plan the most effective strategies for achieving his or her purpose, and improving his or her writing.
- Take instructor's comments and evaluations seriously, as part of the rhetorical situation within which the student must operate.
- Provide a non-threatening, constructive atmosphere that makes the writing environment
a safe place for writers to talk about their work.
Our ultimate aim is to develop better writers who, in turn, produce better work.
Our writing coaches will NOT:
- Provide proofreading or copyediting services.
- Write papers for students.
- "Correct" papers.
- Ignore problems in grammar, spelling, and usage.
- Criticize or otherwise undermine faculty members.
- Question a professor's methods or goals for writing instruction.
Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 2102, (630) 942-3941
Writing, Reading, and Speech Assistance
Flexible Learning Courses
2014 College of DuPage