The mission of the DuPage Area Student Leadership Academy is to link local high school students with the area business community; the purpose is to help students prepare for careers and lifelong learning. The academy focuses on developing personal characteristics and skills that employers are seeking in job candidates.
Four sessions of the academy are devoted to instruction in unique business/education settings and encompass: leadership skill assessment, time management and work attitude, recognition and incorporation of diversity in the workplace, goal setting, ethics, resume writing, interviewing skills, business protocol and interaction with professionals at a business expo. A fifth optional session serves as an opportunity for students to attend a business breakfast/luncheon.
Area businesses and educational institutions have displayed a wide range of support for this initiative, with hundreds of business people participating in one or more of the following ways:
- Education to Business Committee members, guiding and designing the Student Leadership Academy
- Sponsor members, providing individual and business contributions to help fund the program and make-up the shortfall from cuts in the state funding
- Providers of facilities and materials of classroom space and technical equipment as well as printing, meals, etc
- Contributors to fundraisers that provide scholarship monies
- Faculty members, facilitators and speakers to the students
- Interviewers, conducting mock sessions and providing constructive feedback for students in a practice-hiring scenario
2012 College of DuPage