International students who apply for admission to College of DuPage will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores as part of the admission process.
- Students with a TOEFL score of 79 or higher or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher will be considered college-ready and will be eligible to enroll in Academic courses.
- Students with a TOEFL score of 40-78 or an IELTS score of 3-6 will complete all relevant placement exams and will be placed in English or Academic ESL per the current placement guidelines.
- Students with a TOEFL score of 39 or lower or an IELTS score of 2.5 or lower will not be eligible for admission to College of DuPage.
Exceptions to the TOEFL or IELTS:
- International students from countries where English is the primary spoken language.
- International students who have taken ACT are not required to take TOEFL/IELTS.
- International students who have graduated from a U.S. high school.
- International students who have successfully completed English 1101 or equivalent at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- International students who have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- International students currently residing in the United States and enrolled at Language Training Schools would be required to demonstrate language proficiency by completing either TOEFL, IELTS, COMPASS*, ACT, or SAT.
*College of DuPage COMPASS placement tests will need to be take in the four different areas:
- ESL Compass Reading
- ESL Compass Writing
- ESL Compass e-Write
- ESL Compass Listening
Placement into English as a Second Language (ESL) courses will be required if passing scores are not achieved.
A review of the online sample materials is recommended in order to determine the minimum proficiency required for Level 1 courses.
Click on ESL courses for more information on the different levels offered and course information.
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 2225
Fax: (630) 942-2323
Monday to Fridays: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Evening appointments are available upon request.
2014 College of DuPage