Services Provided by Counseling and Advising Services

We are currently assisting students for upcoming term registration

Students wishing to meet with a Counselor or Advisor should contact the Counseling and Advising Front Desk (see Contact Information below).

Students from Other Institutions

Those wishing to enroll for the summer only considered Students at Large. They should contact their home school to find out what class(s) are appropriate to take at College of DuPage for transfer back to their home College/University.

When transferring into College of DuPage

If you are a student transferring into College of DuPage with more than fifteen (15) semester hours, you will need to have one of the following completed by our Student Records Department prior to meeting with a Counselor.

  1. Prerequisite check (when taking up to two (2) classes): it takes 1-3 days to complete and will allow you into a class, but will not be recorded as transfer credit.
  2. Full evaluation (when taking more than two (2) classes): This will allow you into classes and give you recorded transfer credit; please allow up to 4 weeks.

First Time College Student

Students enrolling at College of DuPage for the first time (or having attended another institution with less than 15 semester hours) will attend a New Student Advising Session.

Prior to attending students should have either:

  • Completed the College’s placement testing in Reading and Writing; or
  • Have submitted ACT results or transcript showing a total composite score of 20 or higher before attending.

This session will give you an overview of how to develop your educational plan. Additional information is provided about scheduling, key advising tools and success strategies for your first semesterPre-registration is required! Contact Counseling and Advising in advance to reserve a place in a session.

After the session, students have the option to use the tools presented on their own, or to *meet with a Counselor for additional guidance.

All degree or certificate seeking students must attend the New Student Information Session prior to meeting with a Counselor. To meet with a Counselor, you MUST have completed one of the two placement options above.

Continuing Students in Good Standing

Continuing students in good academic standing (GPA 2.0 and above) should contact Counseling and Advising to determine how best their needs can be met with current programming in the Counseling and Advising Services Center. Students should bring a copy of their Degree Audit for their advising session. 

If you have unevaluated transcript(s) from other institutions you need to have a prerequisite check or full evaluation of your transcript(s) completed by our Student Records Department prior to meeting with a Counselor. (See above under Transfer Students for additional details)

Students with Academic Holds (Academic Difficulty)

Students whose GPAs have dropped below a below 2.0 the last semester they attended are required to meet with a Student Success Counselor before registering each semester until their GPA is above 2.0.

For first term students on Academic Probation, they must attend a Group Session for educational planning. Pre-registration is required! Contact Counseling and Advising in advance to reserve a place in a session.

Students on "Continued" Probation/Suspension (please check your status on may be seen on a walk-in basis in the Counseling and Advising Educational Planning Center.


Contact Information

Counseling and Advising Services
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 3200, (630) 942-2259

Regular Hours for the Glen Ellyn campus:

Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.                 

Please check with each off-campus center for their hours:

Carol Stream

College of DuPage

425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137

(630) 942-2800 (Main)

(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)

  2018 College of DuPage