Food and Culture Research Guide
Look in the following catalogs for books, videos
and other types of audiovisual items held in libraries.
COD Library Catalog
: for materials in the COD Library only. In this online catalog you can conduct a KEYWORD search by using the search statement "food and culture" and come up with many items. A good SUBJECT search is FOOD HABITS, or try a KEYWORD search using FOOD HABITS AND [here type in the name of a country or culture group].
To find ccokbooks, you can do a KEYWORD search. In one search box type in the name of the group or location or topic, and in the second search box type in: cookbook or cookery
"Food Culture around the World" series books at the C.O.D. Library.
I-Share (formerly Illinet
Online): For the library catalogs of 65 Illinois libraries, including nearby Wheaton College, Benedictine University, Elmhurst College, North Central College, Northern Illinois University, and Harper College..
Items at libraries in this country and around the world. This will help you identify materials and figure out if they are located close by. Internet resources and hot links are included as well.
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to arrange its books).
Other Nearby Public and Academic Libraries
The A - to - Z Encyclopedia of Food Controversies and the Law. Reference KF 3869 .W 53 2011.
American Food by the Decades (the 20th century). General TX 360 .U 6 A 755 2011.
The Atlas of Food: Who Eats What, Where, and Why. Reference HD 9000.5 .M 52 2008.
Cambridge World History of Food. 2 vols. Reference TX 353 .C 255 2000.
Cultural Encyclopedia of Vegetarianism. (2010)
The Dictionary of American Food and Drink. Reference TX 349 .M 26 1994.
Dictionary of Food: International Food and Cooking Terms from A to Z. (2005)
Dictionary of International Food and Cooking Terms. General Collection TX 349 .W 24 1970.
Diets and Dieting: A Cultural Encyclopedia. Reference RM 214.5 .G 55 2008.
Encyclopaedia Britannica Online. (Library card needed for off-campus access)
Encyclopedia of Food and Culture. Reference
GT 2850 .E 53 2003.
Encyclopedia of Food in World Mythology. Reference GR 498 .A 53 2000
Encyclopedia of Food: The Stories of the Foods by Which We Live, How and Where They Grow and are Marketed, Their Comparative Values, and How Best to Use and Enjoy Them. General TX 349 .W 33 1941.
Encyclopedia of Junk Food and Fast Food. Reference TX 370 .S 63 2006.
Encyclopedia of North American Eating and Drinking Traditions, Customs, and Rituals. Reference GT 2853 .U 5 G 39.
Encyclopedia of Organic, Sustainable, and Local Food. (2009)
Food: An Authoritative and Visual History and Dictionary of the Foods of the World. General Collection TX 349 .R 58.
Food Cultures of the World Encyclopedia.
Food in Context (of culture and society)
Food in the Ancient World, from A - to - Z. Reference GT 2853 .G 8 D 35 2003.
The Foodlover's Atlas of the World. General Collection TX 355 .S 48 2002.
The International Dictionary of Food and Nutrition. Reference TX 349 .A 236 1993.
Jargon: A Multilingual Glossary.
The Multicultural Handbook of Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics. (2012)
Nectar and Ambrosia: An Encyclopedia of Food in World Mythology. Reference GR 498 .A 53 2000.
Online Dictionary of the Social Sciences.
The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink. Reference TX 349 .O 94 2007.
The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. Reference TX 349 .E 45 2004.
The Penguin Atlas of Food. Reference HD 9000.5 .M 52 2003.
They Eat That? A Cultural Encyclopedia of Weird and Exotic Food from Around the World.
The World Atlas of Food: A Gourmet's Guide to the Great Regional Dishes of the World. General Collection TX 725 .A1 W 66 1974.
The World Encyclopedia of Food. Reference TX 349 .C 69 1982.
Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life. Reference GN 333 .W 67.
You must have a valid College of DuPage library
card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier [EBSCOhost]1984 to present; 1990 to present-
full text). Abstracts from nearly 3000 journals and full
text for 1250 journals including general reference, education,
social sciences, humanities, general science, multi-cultural
studies, library and information science. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
Anthropological Index of the Royal Anthropological Institute.
This is a free index of citations, but there are no full-text
articles connected to the citations. No COD Library Card needed
for this service. URL: http://aio.anthropology.org.uk/aio/AIO.html.
Journal Archives Project. This provides bibliographic citations
and short reviews of articles found in several different years
of these journals: "American Anthropologist," "Current
Anthropology," and "Human Organization." There
are no full text articles attached to these citations, and not
every year of the journal is covered. No COD Library Card needed.
- Anthrosource. This provides citations for articles in the professional journals and newsletters of the American Anthropological Association. Look at the top right side for the journal citation search feature. Those who are members of the AAA can log in and retrieve the full-text of the articles. No COD library card needed for this database. For those who can only view the article citations, try looking for the full-text of the article in the Academic Search Premier or Expanded Academic Index databases.
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
- FindArticles.com. Citations to millions of journal articles, and it covers many more subjects than just Anthropology.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- H-NET Scholarly book reviews.
- History Study Center. Links to numerous articles, documents, and images.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are not available as full-text online items.
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Latin American Periodicals Tables of Contents (LAPTOC). No full-text articles.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
- SCIRUS. A search engine for citations to journal articles and links to web pages, and covers many more subjects than just Anthropology..
- SocIndex with Full-Text. (1974-present). An index to journal articles,
conference papers, and some books in the social sciences including
anthropology, with a lot of full-text materials. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
Anthropology Journals at COD.
Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
of the Difference between Journals and Magazines .
to Read a Research Study Article.
Other C.O.D. Library Online Research Guides
Anthropology Research Guide
Geography Research Guide
Psychology Research Guide
Sociology Research Guide
The following Internet sites are "mega-lists" of
anthropology resources. All three list the same sites, but you
will find some unique sites in each one.
The Library can obtain copies of articles or books
from other libraries for you. Inquire at the Reference Desk. You
may also consult journal title lists from other libraries in the
Library Reference Desk: 630-942-3364
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian, (630) 942-2279, FAX (630) 858-8757, Office:
SRC 3035 firstname.lastname@example.org