Political Science Research Guide
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to shelve its books).
Other Nearby Public and Academic Libraries
CREDO REFERENCE . Type in your terms in the search box to find articles from many different online reference books.
GALE VIRTUAL REFERENCE LIBRARY . Type in your terms in the search box to find articles from many different online reference books.
- The ABC of Diplomacy (dictionary)
- Abbreviations and Acronyms of the United States Government.
- Almanac of Illinois Politics. Reference JK 5730 .A5
- America Votes. Reference JK 1967 .A8
- The Blackwell Dictionary of Political Science: A User's Guide to its Terms. (1999)
- The Borderlands: An Encyclopedia of Culture and Politics on the U.S. - Mexco Divide. (2008)
- The Borderlands Encyclopedia: A Digital Educational Resource on Contemporary United States-Mexico Border Issues. (University of Texas at El Paso)
- Checks and Balances: The Three Branches of the American Government.
- Congressional Quarterly Almanac & Weekly Report.
Reference JK 1 .C66
- Conspiracy Theories in American History: An Encyclopedia. (2003)
- Culture Wars: An Encyclopedia of Issues, Viewpoints, and Voices. (2010)
- Decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court. Reference KF 101
- A Dictionary of Diplomacy. (2003)
- Dictionary of Political Thought. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2007)
- Dictionary of Politics and Government. (2004)
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.
- Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy. 2nd ed. (2002)
- Encyclopedia of Civil Liberties in America. Reference JC 599 .U 5 E 53 2005
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary American Social Issues. (2011)
- Encyclopedia of Democracy. Reference JC 423 .E 53 1995
- Encyclopedia of Governance. (2007)
- Encyclopedia of Mass Violence.
- Encyclopedia of Nationalism. Reference JC 311 .E 63 2001
- Encyclopedia of Political Communication. (2008)
- Encyclopedia of Political Theory. (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion. Reference BL 65 .P 7 E 53 1998
- Encyclopedia of Politics: The Left and the Right. Reference JA 61 .E 54 2005
- Encyclopedia of Politics, the Media, and Popular Culture. (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Public Choice.
- Encyclopedia of the American Left. Reference HX 86 .E 58 1998 .
- Encyclopedia of the European Union. (2001)
- Encyclopedia of the United States Cabinet. 3 vols. Ref. E 176 .G 89 2000.
- Encyclopedia of U.S. Campaigns, Elections, and Electoral Behavior. (2008)
- Encyclopedia of U.S. National Security. (2006)
- Eurojargin: A Dictionary of European Union Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terminology. (2004)
- Federal Agency Profiles for Students. Reference JK 421 .F 42 1999
- From Sufferage to the Senate: America's Political Women, An Encyclopedia of Leaders, Causes and Issues. (2006)
- Globalization and Security: An Encyclopedia. (2009)
- The Glossary of Globalization, Trade and Health Terms. (World Health Organization)
- A Glossary of Political Theory.
- A Glossary of Terms used in the Federal Budgetary Process. (2005)
- A Glossary of U.K. Government and Politics.
- The Greenwood Encyclopedia of International Relations. (2002)
- "Guide to Classical Liberal Think Tanks." Joseph L. Bast. Heartland Policy Study February 10, 2005.
- A Historical Guide to the U.S. Government [agencies and departments] . Reference JK 9 .H 57 1998
- A History of the U.S. Political System: Ideas, Interests, and Institutions. (2010)
- Illinois Compiled Statutes. [Illinois laws] Reference
KFI 1229 .I44
- Interntional Encyclopedia of Political Science. (2011)
- Key Concepts in Governance. (2009)
- Key Concepts in Political Communication. (2006)
- Legal Systems of the World. Reference K 48 .L 44 2002
- Library Jargon: A Multilingual Glossary.
- Major Acts of Congress. Reference KF 154 .M 35 2004
- Map of Communist History (online).
- The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. (3rd ed., 2003) There are sections on American history and politics.
- Online Dictionary of the Social Sciences.
- The Palgrave Macmillan Dictionary of Poltiical Thought. (2007)
- A Political and Economic Dictionary of Eastern Europe.
- A Political and Economic Dictionary of Latin America.
- A Political and Economic Dictionary of the Middle East.
- A Political and Economic Dictionary of Western Europe.
- Political Economy Terms online.
- Political Handbook of the World. Reference JF 37 .P6
- Poltiical Philosophy, A to Z. (2007)
- Political Science Glossary.
- Political Systems of the World. Reference JF 51 .D467
- Political Theories for Students. Reference JA 81 .P 617 2002
- Political Theory: An Encyclopedia of Contemporary and Classic Terms.
- Politics in America. Reference JK 1010.C64
- Presidential Administration Profiles for Students. Reference JK 511 .P 78 2000
- Propaganda and Mass Persuasion: A Historical Encyclopedia. General HM 1231 .C 85 2003
- Public Opinion and Polling Around the World: An Historical Encyclopedia.
- Reader's Companion to the American Presidency. (2000)
- Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations Requested from the Congressional Research Service. A paper copy is available in the Library's Reference Collection at call number PN 6081 .R 435 1989.
- Revolts, Protests, Demonstrations and Rebellions in American History: An Encyclopedia. (2011)
- Statistical Abstract of the United States. Reference
HA 202 .U5 S93
- Statistics selected by your Geography from Fed Stats/Map Stats.
- Think Tanks list.
- United States Code Service. [U.S. laws] Reference
KF 62.1972 .L38
- United States Government Manual. Reference JK 421 .A3
- Weasel Words: The Dictionary of American Doublespeak. Ref. PE 2839 .W 37 2006
- World Encyclopedia of Parliaments and Legislatures. Reference JF 511 .W67
Other Related C.O.D. Library Research Guides
Constitution of the U.S.,
Declassified Government Documents,
Genocide and Human Rights,
Global Studies Resources,
Immigration Debate Issue,
The Media and Politics,
The Military - Industrial Complex ,
Social / Demographic / Economic Statistics Sources.
The Sudan / Lost Boys.
You must have a valid College of DuPage library
card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier [EBSCOhost]1984 to present; 1990 to present- full text). Abstracts from nearly 3000 journals and full text for 1250 journals including general reference, education, social sciences, humanities, general science, multi-cultural studies, library and information science.
- African Geopolitics. Free online journal.
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
Researcher (Nov. 1991-present).Full-text articles covering
topics of current interest and controversy.
- Electronic Journals for Political Science list.
- FindArticles.com. Citations to millions of journal articles.
- Foreign Relations/Diplomatic History/International Relations index of recent articles, no full-text.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies. Citations-only database from the U.S. Library of Congress.
- H-NET Scholarly book reviews.
- Homeland Security Digital Library (HSDL). Access to citations and the full-text of thousandss of articles and official government reports. ON CAMPUS ACCESS ONLY. Click here for a description of the contents.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are NOT available as full-text online items.
The Journal of Haitian Studies . The COD Library started receiving this journal in the Summer of 2008 (click here for the COD holdings). It is not available full-text online. Click here for the Journal's Homepage, which has links to indexes and table of contents information. Copies of older articles can be obtained for you through the Library's Interlibrary Loan process.
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Latin American Periodicals Tables of Contents (LAPTOC). No full-text articles.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
- Newspapers (ProQuest) (1980's-present).Full-text of four major national
newspapers including the New York Times.
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Policybot. This is a database of over 17,600 public policy reports and documents, most of them full-text & free online.
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
Abstracts (1974-present). References & abstracts for
journals for political science and other related social science
- U.S. Military and Government Periodicals Index.
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
- Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
of the Difference Between Magazines and Journals
to Read a Research Study Article.
- How a Bill Becomes a Law in Illinois. (in written form)
- How Our Federal Laws are Enacted.
- How Our Federal Laws are Made.
- Illinois State Government
Illinois State Government Publications Catalog
- Illinois State Legislation - Status and Text. (Illinois Legislative Synopsis and Digest).
- Information about Governors around the Country.
- Influence Explorer (about who gives how much money where)
- Inter - American Development Bank (IADB).
- International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Just War Theory.com. Links to other resources on this philosophical/political topic.
- Latin American Political Database, from Georgetown University.
- Liberal Think Tanks list.
- The Library of Economics and Liberty. This site has free online texts of hundreds of classic books and essays in the fields of economics and political science. From the Liberty Fund.
- MAPlight.org. Illuminating the connection between money and politics.
- The National Journal Group's Policy Central. A collection of links to organizations and online publications.
- National Security.org. Part of the Heritage Foundation.
- Nationalism Studies Information Clearinghouse.
- Nationmaster. You can use this site to find statistics and make charts.
- National Constitutions
- National Institute of Money in State Politics.
- Non - Governmental Organizations (NGOs) Research Guide. University of California, Berkeley, Library.
- Northeast Illinois Congressional Districts. (map)
- Northeast Illinois State Legislative Districts. (map)
US Executive Branch Web Sites
- OFFSTATS: Official Statistics on the Web. Links to statistics from foreign governments.
- The Online Library of Liberty. This site has free online texts of hundreds of classic books and essays in the fields of government and political science. From the Liberty Fund.
- PolicyLink.org. This organization provides links to various reports and analysis.
- Political Database of the Americas, from Georgetown University.
- Political Web (for
on parties, candidates, ideological positions, issues, and general
political news.Nonpartisan and covers a wide variety of organizations
- Presidential Speeches, audio versions.
- Project Vote Smart.
Free information about politicians including biographies, campaign
finances, issue positions, performance evaluations, and voting
- Public Agenda for Policy Issues
- Public Opinion and Policy
Analysis from Public Agenda Online. http://publicagenda.org.
- Public Opinion/World Values survey data.
- The Rand Corporation. A highly-respected California think-tank that provides expert analysis of a variety of government problems and operations.
- Rankings of Countries by democratic development, press freedoms, human rights, rule of law, corruption, civil liberties, economic freedom, from World Audit.org.
- Real Clear Politics, a different slant on things.
- The Smoking Gun. (texts of elusive government publications)
- Social / Demographic / Economic Statistics Sources. Subdivided into local-, county-, and state-level electronic and printed COD resources. Although developed for marketing classes, it can certainly be utilized for other purposes as well.
- Sourcewatch. A watchdog group that tracks public relations and propaganda efforts to sway public opinion.
- State government associations topics search engine.
- Thomas: Legislative Information
on the Internet.Full-text of House and Senate bills, Congressional
Record, and daily proceedings on the House and Senate floors.
- The Ultimate Political Science Links Page! (humor section at the bottom)
- United Nations
Scholars Workstation. Collection of texts, finding aids,
data sets, maps, and references to print and electronic information
concerning the activities of the United Nations. http://www.library.yale.edu/un/.
- U.S. Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports. (Indiana University)
- United States Legislative Branch
- United States Overseas Loans and Grants, a.k.a. "The Greenbook".
- USA.GOV. The main gateway to U.S. government web sites and online information.
- USA Spending.gov. Use this site to find out where the tax dollars are distributed.
- Virtual Library of Eastern Europe.
- World Audit.org. Provides rankings of countries by many different subjects.
- World Bank.
Political Science. Keyword searching for political science
topics.Good place to start your Web searching. http://www.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Political_Science
- EVALUATING WEB SITES help, click here!
Checklists & Worksheets
Political Science Faculty Internet Homepages
David M. Goldberg
Carol J. Riphenburg
Library Reference Desk: 630-942-3364
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
Office: SRC 3033