Human Services Research Guide
- Addiction: A Reference Encyclopedia. Reference HV 5825 .P 26 2010
- Cambridge Handbook of Age and Aging. [online]
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Ed., Text Revision. (DSM - IV - TR) Reference Desk RC 455.2 .C 4 D536 2000. You can also try this site for some similar, although not as complete, information on the topic: http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/dsm4TRclassification.htm
- Dictionary of the Social Sciences. (2002) [online]
- Drugs, Alcohol, and Tobacco : Learning about Addictive Behavior. Reference HV 5804 .D 78 2003
- Encyclopedia of Abortion in the United States. (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Addictions. Reference RC 563.4 .H 65 2009
- Encyclopedia of Addictions and Addictive Behaviors [online]
Reference RC 564 .G95 2006
- Encyclopedia of Aging
Reference HQ1061 .E534 2006
- Encyclopedia of Aging and Public Health (2008)
- Encyclopedia of Child Abuse. Reference HV 6626.5 .C 57 2007.
- Encyclopedia of Counseling [online]
- Encyclopedia of Domestic Violence. Reference HV 6626 .E 534 2007.
- Encyclopedia of Drug Policy.
- Encyclopedia of Drugs, Alcohol, & Addictive Behavior. [online]
- Encyclopedia of Psychology BF31 .E52 2000 Reference
- Encyclopedia of Social Work. [online]
- Encyclopedia of Social Work with Groups. [online]
- Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery. Ref. RC 563.4 .E 53 2009
- Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Health. Reference RC 437 .G 36 2008
- Glossary of Children's Mental Health Terms.
- Glossary of Common Child Support Terms.
- Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences. [online] (2006)
- Human Services Dictionary
Reference HV 12 .R67 2003
- International Encyclopedia of Rehabilitation.
- Key Concepts in Anti - Discriminatory Social Work.
- National Directory of Drug and Alcohol Abuse Treatment Programs
Reference HV5825 .N323 2006
- The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Research Methods. Reference H 62 .L 456 2004.
- The Social Science Jargon Buster: The Key Terms You Need to Know. [online]
- The Social Work Dictionary. Reference HV 12 .B 37 2003.
- The Social Workers Desk Reference. Reference HV 40 .S 6464 2009.
Find Books, Videos and Other Audiovisual Materials
Use the catalogs
below to locate print and audio-visual materials.
Find Articles in Magazines, Journals and Newspapers
You must have a valid College of DuPage
card to access the electronic indexes and the human services databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (1980-present).
to over 2500 journals and magazines covering a variety of
topic areas including human services. Abstracts and sometimes
the full-text of articles.
- Academic Search Premier (1984-present) References and abstracts to articles from about 4500 magazines and professional journals covering a variety of topics including psychology. Many articles are online or full-text.
- PILOTS: Published International Literature on Traumatic Stress. An index to the literature, not too many full text links. From the U.S. National Center for PTSD.
- PsycInfo (1887-present)
An index to journals in human services, counseling, psychology
and related fields. Provides primarily references and abstracts
for articles. Some articles are available full-text
or online. There are also references and abstracts for book
chapters, dissertations, and conference papers. Use the Thesaurus
of Psychological Index Terms (located in the library
and online in PsycINFO) to locate acceptable terms for your
research topic. Use the following links on the online handout
for further assistance.
- REHABDATA Database. (1956-present) For various types of research project across the entire range of human services, medicine, and psychology.
- SocIndex (1895-present) For the broad subject area of Sociology, this database contains both full-text articles and just citations and abstracts of other materials.
- Search the newspaper databases, including the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune.
Find Web Sites
For your human services course papers and projects, be sure to evaluate the Web sites that you find by using a search engine like Google or Yahoo. Use the C.O.D. Library's "Evaluating Web Sites" Web page to determine the reliability of a Web site.
COD Library Career Guide to Social Work. http://www.cod.edu/library/services/jobscollege/docs/SocialWork.pdf
In the Library's College and Career Information Center [CCIC] on the top floor:
Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance CCIC HF 5381.E 52.
Ferguson Career Resource Guide to Apprenticeship Programs. CCIC HD 4885 .U 5 F 47 2006
Occupational Outlook Handbook. CCIC HF 5382.5 .U 5 O 33.
101 Careers in Social Work. CCIC HV 10.5 .R 58 2009
Careers in Social and Rehabilitation Services. CCIC HV 10.5 .G 39 2008
The Results are In: What Social Workers Say About Social Work. CCIC HV 10.5 .N 27 2009
HS Careers.com Career Center http://www.hscareers.com/careercenter/default.asp
NASW Occupational Profiles for various sectors of the field. http://workforce.socialworkers.org/whatsnew.asp#profiles
Occupational Outlook Handbook, from the U.S. Department of Labor.
Who Wants to be a Social Worker? Career Influences and Timing.
Other General Career Resources at http://www.cod.edu/library/services/jobscollege/careers.htm
Other Related C.O.D. Library Research Guides
Social/Economic/Demographic Statistics Sources