General Biology Research Guide
Databases: Links to databases indexing magazine, journal and newspaper articles
Library Catalogs: Books, videos and other audiovisuals
Reference Works: Find backgound information, illustrations and data
- Biology Data Book . 3 v.
Reference QH 310 .A392
- Encyclopedia of Bioethics . 5 vols.
Reference QH 332 .E52 2004
- Dictionary of Biology. General QH 302.5 .D54 2004
- Encyclopedia of Evolution . 2 vols.
Reference QH 360.2 .O83 2002
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences . 20 vols.
Reference QH 302.5 .E54 2001
- Facts on File Biology Handbook.
Reference QH 310 .F23 2000
- Facts on File Dictionary of Cell and Molecular Biology.
Reference QH 575 .F33 2003
- Life Sciences on File .
Reference QH 318 .L45 1999
- Magill's Survey of Science: Life Science Series . 7 vols.
General QH 307.2 .M34
- Penguin Dictionary of Biology Credo Reference Online
- Synopsis and Classification of Living Organisms .
Reference QH 83 .S892
Internet Science Sites: Major science gateways
Comprehensive search engine for science-specific topics. Results cite Science Web sites and provide abstracts from Medline, Science Direct, U.S. Patent office documents and more.
The gateway to government science information. Provides access to over 47 million pages of government science information from 30 databases and 1700 websites, many part of the "deep web" that is inaccesible to search engines.
- Highwire Press
A division of the Stanford University Libraries, this is the largest repository of free full-text life science articles in the world. Search for PubMed articles, access the contents of 780 HighWire hosted journals, and find listings in other free and pay-for-view sources.
Internet Biology Sites
- The Biology Project: an Online Interactive Resource for Leaning Biology
Good supplement to biology text with tutorials on basic biology topics and many illustrations.
- Cells Alive
Fine images of many types of cells, explanations of cell structure, and animations of cell division phases.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System
Authoritative taxonomic information for plants, animals, fungi and microbes of North America and the world. Includes accepted and non-accepted names, taxonomic hierarchy for kingdom to species, and links to Google images when available for a species listed.
- Kimball's Biology Pages
Online reference to biology terms with graphic illustrations of many concepts.
- Lynn Fancher's Biology Bookmarks
Extensive links to biology gateway sites, as well as internet sites for specific areas of biology.
- Natural Selection
Links to thousands of hand-selected sites about the natural world, maintained by the Natural History Museum of London.
- Seven Biological Challenges
Links to essays by noted researchers and useful websites in areas of biotechnology, evolution, environment and more.
- The Tree of Life
Collaborative project with information on biological classification, phylogeny, and the diversity of organisms.
- The Virtual Library: Biosciences
Extensive list of links to valuable websites in many areas of the biological sciences.
- Yahoo's Index of Biological Links
Search for information by biological subject categories or by keyword.
Citing sources: MLA, APA and CBE (Biology) formats