Astronomy Research Guide
Databases: Links to databases indexing magazine, journal and newspaper articles
Library Catalogs: Books, videos and other audiovisuals
Reference Works: Find backgound information, illustrations and data
- American Ephemeris for the 21 st Century: 2000 to 2050 at Midnight . Reference QB 12 .M53 1997
- Astronomical Almanac for the Year . Received Annually . Reference QB 8 .U6 A77
- Astronomy Encyclopedia . Reference QB 14 .P48 2002
- Astronomy Encyclopedia (Philips) online
- Atlas of the Universe . Reference QB 44.2 .M66 1998
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of the Sun . Reference Q B 521 .L24 2001
- Chronological Encyclopedia of Discoveries in Space . Reference QB 500.262 .Z56 2000
- Dictionary of Astronomy online
- Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Astrophysics . 4 vols. Reference QB 14 .E634 2001
- Encyclopedia of Space Exploration . Reference QB 500.262 .A54 2000
- Encyclopedia of the Solar System . Reference QB 501 .E53 1999 and online
- Extraterrestrial Encyclopedia: an Alphabetical Reference to All Life in the Universe .
Reference QB 54 .D365 2000
- Facts on File Earth Dictionary of Astronomy. Reference QB 14 .F3 2000
- Guide to Stars and Planets online
- History of Astronomy: an Encyclopedia. Reference QB 15 .H624 1997
- Stars and Planets. Reference QB 63 .R527 2001
Videorecording Sets : View important concepts in astronomy.
- The Astronomers . 6 videocassettes or 2 DVDs
General QB 23.2 .A87 1991 or Circulation Desk QB 23.2 .A87 2002
The work of leading astronomers exploring the physical nature of the universe.
- Black Holes Explained . 2 DVDs
General QB 843 .B55 F555 2009
explains the true nature of black holes and their implications for our universe.
- Dark Matter, Dark Energy: the Dark Side of the Universe 4 DVDs
General QB791.3 .D37 2007
In 24 lectures, Sean Carroll discusses theories of dark matter and energy
- Stephen Hawking's Universe. 3 DVDs
General QB 981 .S846 2000
History of discovery and questions for future research in cosmology.
- My Favorite Universe. 2 DVDs
General QB461.3.T976 2003
Professor Neil deGrasse Tyson
explains scientific concepts necessary for an understanding of astronomy and cosmology.
- The Planets . 8 videocassettes or 4 DVDs
General QB 601 .P52 1999 or General QB 601 .P.52 2000
Planetary exploration both before and after the Cold War space race.
- Understanding the Universe: an Introduction to Astronomy. 2nd ed. 16 DVDs
General QB 43.3 .F55 2007
A non-technical description of modern astronomy, including the structure and evolution of planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.
Internet Science Sites: Major science gateways
Comprehensive search engine for science-specific topics. Results cite Science Web sites and provide abstracts from Medline, Science Direct, U.S. Patent office documents and more.
The gateway to government science information. Provides access to over 47 million pages of government science information from 30 databases and 1700 websites, many part of the "deep web" that is inaccesible to search engines.
Internet Astronomy Sites
News and links to websites with information on life in extreme places, from early earth, to hydrothermal vents, to outer space.
- AstroWeb: Astronomy/Astrophysics on the Internet
Huge list of links organized by astronomy-related topic. Many links to observatories, research organizations, and image archives.
- Constellations and Their Stars
Introduction to the constellations, including name origin, stars and Messier objects in the constellation, links to images and other websites, and other useful information.
- Encyclopedia Astronautica
Comprehensive site on the history of spaceflight. Current news and background information on space exploration.
- Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy
An on-line encyclopedia with concise explanations of hundreds of topics in astronomy .
- Galileo Project
Hypertext links to biographical, historical and scientific information and documents about Galileo Galilei.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
From the JPL at the California Institute of Technology, news and research on earth-study from space, the solar system, stars and galaxies and more.
- Meteor Showers
News and current information about meteor showers
- NASA Homepage
Text, images and streaming videos on the history and current projects of NASA and information about the solar system and beyond.
- Naval Observatory Oceanography Portal for Astronomical Data
Complete sun and moon data for the day or year for your U.S. city/town, phases of the moon, eclipses, and more.
- Nine (8) Planets: a Multimedia Tour of the Solar System
The history, mythology, and current scientific knowledge of each of the planets and moons in our solar system using text, images, and video with many links to websites for further information. .
- Powers of Ten
View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth, then move through space towards the Earth in successive orders of magnitude, finally going down microscopically to the subatomic universe of electrons and protons.
- Sky and Telescope
Includes guide to Astronomy Basics, weekly descriptions of the "Sky at a Glance," equipment test reports, and resources lists of including internet links, astronomy clubs, nd special astronomy-related events.
Download and print a limited number of copies for personal or educational use of an excellent quality Evening Sky Map for the month; choose Northern or Southern Hemispheres. Includes much valuable information on astronomical events of the month and list of celestial objects that can be viewed with naked eye, binoculars, and telescope only.
- Views of the Solar System
Images, data tables, links to video, and text describe the nine planets, the sun, and other objects in the solar system. Use the stop button if advertising animations become annoying.
- Yahoo's Index of Astronomy Links
Search for information by Astronomy subject categories or by keyword.
Citing sources: MLA and APA formats