Small Business Information
(SBDC Resource Guide)
College of DuPage Library
These titles are representative of the wide variety
of business materials that are available in the Library. There
are other titles as well, many which can be located in the same
call number areas that are cited below. Materials in Reference
are for in-house use only; titles in General may be checked out.
- Find books in the COD Library Catalog to help you get started:
- Business plan books under the Subject of "business planning"
- Books on starting specific types of businesses - search by Subject or Keyword
- Books on small business topics
Sample business, marketing and web site plans for specific
- Business PlanPro - HD 30.28 .B87 (Ref)
Contains business plans cited on the Bplans web site.
- Business Plans Handbook: A Compilation of Actual Business
Plans - HD 62.7 .B865 (Ref/Gen)
Actual business plans - the copies in General can be checked out.
- Business Strategies - HD 28 .B8 (Ref)
Up-to-date information on all aspects of starting and running a small business.
- Encyclopedia of Small Business-Online Reference Book
Find information on basic small business topics.
- Guide to Start-Up Businesses - HD 62.5 .G92 (Ref)
- How to Start A Business in Illinois - HD 62.5 .H68524 (Ref/Gen)
- PPC's Guide to Buying and Selling Small Businesses - HD 1393.4 .U6 .G85 (Ref)
- Small Business Sourcebook - HD 2346 .U5 S66 (Ref)
- Starting A Business in Illinois
HD62.5 .S725 (Ref/Gen)
- Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies / Rhonda Abrams
HD 62.5 .A344 (Ref/Gen)
A recommended guide to writing a business plan.
- Encyclopedia of American Industries - HC 102 .E53 (Ref)
- Encyclopedia of Associations - AS 22 .E5 (Ref)
Find associations connected with your business/industry.
- Manufacturing & Distribution USA - HD 9721 .M364 (Ref)
- Market Share Reporter - HF 5415.2 .M3x (Ref)
- Mergent Industry Review - HG 4961 .M68 (Ref)
Go to the "Industry Reports" section which is organized
by SIC Code. For each of the more than 200 SIC codes in the
section, there are annotated links to free and fee-based industry
- Also see:
- Reference USA
This database is very useful for determining the competition.
- Dun's Regional Business Directory - HC 107 .I3 D8
- Illinois Manufacturers Directory - HC 107 .I3 I55 (Ref)
- Illinois Services Directory - HC 107 .I3 I62 (Ref)
- Million Dollar Directory - HC 102 .D8 (Ref)
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers - T 12 .T6 (Ref)
- Commercial Atlas & Marketing Guide - G 1019 .R22 (Ref)
- Community Sourcebook of County Demographics - HA 203 .S65 (Ref)
- Community Sourcebook of Zip Code Demographics - HA 203 .S66 (Ref)
- County, Metro and Zip Code Business Patterns - HC 101 .A184 (Ref)
- DuPage County Business Resource Guide and Economic Profile
- Insider's Guide to Demographic Know-How - HF 5415.2 .I535
- Lifestyle Market Analyst - HF 5415.33 .U65 L54 (Ref)
- Profile: DuPage County Statistical Handbook - HA 347 .D9
- Statistical Abstract of the United States - HA 202 .U5 S93
Also online @ http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/.
- Survey of Buying Power - HF 5437 .A2 S79x (Ref)
- U.S. Census Bureau
An excellent source for current U.S. social, demographic and business statistics.
- Also see Reference
Useful if doing business-to-business marketing.
- General accounting information
- Accounting Trends & Techniques - HF 5681 .B2 A35 (Ref)
- Guide to Preparing Financial Statements - HF 5681 .B2
- PPC's Small Business Tax Guide - HD 2346 .U5 P63 (Ref)
- Pratt's Guide to Private Equity Sources - HG 65 .G83
- Vest Pocket Guide to Business Ratios - HF 5681 .R25 T975
- Industry financial ratios
- Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios -
HF 5681 .R25 A45 (Ref)
- Financial Studies of the Small Business - HF 5681 .B2
- Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios - HF 5681 .R25
- RMA Annual Statement Studies - HF 5681 .B2 R6 (Ref)
- Small Business Legal Forms Simplified - KF 1659 .A65
- How To Form Your Own Illinois Corporation Before The Inc.
KFI 1413.5 .Z9 .W54 (Ref/Gen)
- Illinois Compiled Statutes - KFI 1229 .I44 (Ref)
Management / Human Resources
Marketing / Advertising
- Chicago Creative Directory - HF 5805 .C4 C4 (Ref)
- Direct Marketing Market Place - HF 5415.1 .D57 (Ref)
- Standard Rate & Data Service Directories (Business publications,
direct marketing, newspapers, radio, television
Titles vary - HF 5905 (Ref)
- Standard Directory of Advertising Agencies - HF 5805 .S72
You must have a valid College
of DuPage library card to access the databases listed below
- About Entrepreneurs & Entrepreneurship
Excellent 'how-to' resources for starting your own business.
- Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity
Information on locating, starting or expanding your business
in Illinois. Obtain help with starting your business or determining
what government requirements or permits apply to your business.
Also contains resources on financial assistance, tax incentives,
legislation and market research.
- Illinois Gateway: Department of Business Services
Select "Services" > "For Business"
for small business information. You are able to obtain business
forms and fee information for registering with the Secretary
of State's office. Also contains a Corporate Name Database that
allows you to do a preliminary search on corporate name availability.
Inc. magazine's web site for starting and growing your business.
- SCORE / Counselors to America's Small Business
Contains useful guides and templates, particularly for financial
This web site encourages and supports current or prospective entrepreneurs. Online forums and discussion groups are especially useful.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
The U.S. Small Business Administration has gathered a wide variety
of resources for starting, financing and expanding your business.
College of DuPage Library
Judy Wagner, Business Librarian
Reference Center: 630-942-3364
Library Web Site: http://www.cod.edu/library
Library Hours: Monday-Thursday, 7:45
am-10 pm; Friday, 7:45 am-4:30 pm; Saturday, 9 am-4:30 pm; Sunday,
Noon-6 pm. Hours may vary during school holidays and breaks.
Small Business Development Center
David Gay, Center Manager
Office: Building K - Room 165
Phone: 630-942-2771, -3775.
SBDC Web Site: http://www.cod.edu/BPI/sbdc.htm