1. The following science and math courses are likely to be required (contact prospective institutions early for specific requirements):
- Biology 1151, 1152
- Chemistry 1551 (Math 1431 or equivalent needs to have been taken prior to enrollment in Chemistry 1551) and 1552 (inorganic). Chemistry 2551 and 2552 (organic) may be required.
- Trigonometry and calculus: Math 1432 and 2231. Additional math may be required. Prerequisites to Math 2231 in sequence are Math 1431 and 1432. Statistics (Math 1435) may be required.
- Anatomy and Physiology 1571, 1572
- Physics 1201, 1202
2. Comments about admission to physical therapy school:
Entrance to physical therapy program is very competitive and usually demands a bachelor’s degree prior to admission. Some schools offer a 3+3 curricular program where the student takes 3 years of specific pre-physical therapy coursework, followed by 3 years of a professional PT program. Applicants need current certification in first aid and CPR, knowledge about APTA (www.apta.org), and documented observation, volunteer, and/or paid internships. Make sure the physical therapy program is accredited.
3. Physical therapy schools in Illinois
- Bradley University, 1501 W. Bradley Ave, Peoria, IL 61625
- Governors State University, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Professions, University Park, IL 60466
- Midwestern University, 555, 31st St., Downers Grove, IL 60615
- Northern Illinois University, Office of Admissions, DeKalb, IL 60115
- Northwestern University, Physical Therapy, Medical School, 345 E. Superior St., Room 1323, Chicago, IL 60611
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Physical Therapy Program, School of Related Health Sciences, 3333 Green Bay Rd., N. Chicago, IL 60064
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Dept. of Physical Therapy, College of Associated Health Professions, 1919 W. Taylor, Chicago, IL 60612
Visit APTA (www.apta.org) for a current list of accredited physical therapy programs in the United States.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage