Friday, April 24, 2015
8:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
First competition will be given upon arrival, actual competition begins at 9 a.m.
The College of DuPage Engineering Club is hosts the annual Engineering Olympics. The purpose of this event is to engage the young generation to seek interest in the field of engineering and College of DuPage.
Cost: $7 per student
Location: Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 2000
Schools are limited to three teams of four to five students each.
- Good job prospects
- Good salary
- Do you get bored easily? Not in Engineering! There are new problems every day.
- Good career prospects
- Travel the world and live life while doing what you love
- And most importantly, make a difference and change the world
- Drive innovations that improve our quality of life
- Lift our standard of living
- Boost our global competitiveness
- Ensure strong national security
- Protect Public Safety
Engineering Olympics is a design competition, where local high school teams of four to five students interested in engineering or design type fields come to College of DuPage to participate in short design competitions.
All of the designing and building will occur during the competition time, so there is no need for the students to provide any materials except their brains for the competition. We want to encourage high schools to form teams that have a true interest in engineering fields. This year, we are limiting the competition to Juniors or below.
Our goals for the competition:
- Teach participants about the types of engineers and immerse them in hands-on design projects related to a few of the major engineering fields.
- Encourage students to pursue engineering degrees by presenting all of the benefits of engineering and STEM design fields in general.
- Discover how College of DuPage and the University of Illinois Pathways program is a great way to begin your education in engineering.
- Have fun with students as they discover the creative and entertaining side of design.
- Crown a new Engineering Olympics Champion for the College of DuPage district for 2015.
- Bridge Competition (make bridge out of spaghetti, balsa wood, or other possibilities)
- Car/Boat Competition (make small mechanical cars to race, or boats)
- Paper Towers (or other materials)
- Balloon Rockets
- Marshmallows/Toothpick Building
- “Tallest Tower” making
- Brain Teasers
- Rube Goldberg Machines
- Small motor building
We will award appropriately themed trophy to the winning team/school for the competition, and will also give out individual prizes to the top team members.
For questions or more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engineering Olympics Gallery
Scott Banjavcic, M.S., P.E.
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3631B
David S. Smith, Ph.D.
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3610B
Health and Sciences Division
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 1220, (630) 942-8331
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2015 College of DuPage