Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Engineering and Engineering Technology?
The quickest answer is that Engineering is more concerned with design and analysis and Engineering Technology is more concerned with manufacturing, production, and quality control.

Any other differences?
Although both programs cover similar topics, engineering is more calculus-based. Also, engineering graduates may take the first part of the Professional Engineer's Exam immediately upon graduation. Engineering Technologists may not.

What if I can't decide?
The first term contains some courses that are common to both programs, such as math, English and engineering graphics. An engineering faculty member may be able to help.

How much math is required?
Engineering requires at least the full calculus sequence and differential equations (some programs also require linear algebra). Engineering Technology requires at least the first calculus course (sometimes two).

Is a foreign language required?
At this point, only the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) requires a foreign language. The requirement is for three years of language in high school or one and a half years at COD (one year required before transfer).

Do I need to earn a degree before transferring?
No. At some schools (Northern Illinois University, Southern Illinois University), having an Associate in Science (A.S.) is an advantage but not a requirement. The Associate in Engineering Science (A.E.S.) degree is better suited for transfer in Engineering.

Must I complete two years before transferring?
Generally, no. However, both the University of Illinois at Chicago and UIUC require a minimum of 90 quarter hours or 60 semester hours before transfer. In any case, it is a good idea to complete sequences of courses. That is, it is better to complete all of the calculus, chemistry or physics sequence than to transfer after only one or two courses.

How much time is required to complete the bachelor's degree after transferring?
It is possible to complete the degree in two additional years, if all suggested courses are taken while at COD This would require, however, that a full load be taken at the transfer school and that the courses you require are available when you need them. Data that we have indicates that about 75 percent of COD's engineering transfer students complete their degree in four or five terms after transfer.

Aren't all engineering programs the same for the first two years?
They are similar, but there are differences among schools and among programs at any one school.

How do I decide which engineering curriculum is for me or, for that matter, if engineering is for me?
The engineering graphics courses may help you answer both questions. Also, a job shadow or co-operative education course may help. Both are administered through the college's Career Services Center.

How do I get started?
Take the English pre-test. Take the Math pre-test. Call any of the engineering faculty members.


Contact Information

Scott Banjavcic, M.S., P.E.
Assistant Professor
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3436B
(630) 942-2432

Alyssa J. Pasquale, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3E01
(630) 942-3902

David S. Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3E10B
(630) 942-2418


Math and Natural Sciences Division
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2E06, (630) 942-3210

College of DuPage

425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137

(630) 942-2800 (Main)

(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)

  2018 College of DuPage