Basic Nursing Assistant (BNA)
As a reminder, there is information for all NURSING DEPARTMENT PROGRAM inquiries and students on the NURSING DEPARTMENT home page.
The Summer 2014 B.N.A. program package (CY64) is no longer available from Certified Background.com. There are enough students in the health requirements pipeline to fill the remaining open seats in the 2014 Summer program. Please consider the 2014 Fall B.N.A. program; drug screens and TB will need to be repeated to comply with the 90 day timeframe for clinical placement. Please see below for those dates.
For Fall 2014 B.N.A. program registration, the final TB read and drug screen must be done as follows:
- On Monday, May 26, 2014 or later for the 1st 8 weeks and 16 week sessions. Certified Background.com Package Code is CY64Fall1. PACKAGE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON MAY 29th or later.
- On Monday, July 21, 2014 or later for the 2nd 8 weeks. Certified Background.com Package Code is CY64Fall2. DO NOT ORDER UNTIL AFTER JULY 21, 2014.
In recent years, the Basic Nursing Assistant (BNA) profession has become one of the 10 fastest-growing careers in health care. With advances in medicine, as well as an increasingly larger older adult population, nursing homes, hospitals, home health care agencies and other medical facilities have become more and more dependent on the care provided by well-trained, state-certified BNAs.
A BNA is an entry-level nurse assistant who helps registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) with a wide variety of hands-on patient care. College of DuPage offers a BNA course (Health Sciences 1105) that provides both classroom and clinical education. Following successful completion of the course, a student must complete a state registry examination to begin working as a BNA. The course is eight weeks in length.
Certification as a BNA is also a prerequisite for students who plan to apply for entrance into the college's Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) program. The BNA program is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Attend an Advising Session
- View the Online Advising Session
- Admission Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Basic Nursing Assistant Program Application
- Prerequisite Evaluation Form
- Application Checklist
- Advising PowerPoint
- BNA Handbook
- Graduate Outcomes
- Course Description
- Skills Checklist
- Clinical Evaluation Tools
- Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation
Completing the program
Using Data: Program Improvement and Learning Enhancement
If you are interested in learning more about this program, please
- Attend an advising session
- Visit a Health Career Program Advisor by calling (630) 942-2259 to make an appointment.
- For information or general inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com. (Please use above phone number only to schedule an appointment. Do not send an appointment request to this email).
- Attend an advising session
Feedback/compliments/concerns regarding this Health Science Program. For general inquiries, please use contact information listed above.
BNA Online Advising Session
To meet the Advising Session requirement for the B.N.A. Program, you may view the session online or at one of the in-person sessions.
2014 College of DuPage