Labs and Policies
Nursing Skills Laboratory
The Nursing Skills Laboratory at College of DuPage provides an environment for all nursing department program students to practice and demonstrate nursing skills. Mannequins, models and other equipment provide a non-threatening, hands-on learning environment for skill acquisition.
The Nursing Skills Laboratory mission is in accord with the mission of College of DuPage, as well as the philosophies of the Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences Division programs. The mission acknowledges that each student will receive a quality education, training, information and cultural opportunities. The Nursing Skills Laboratory will continue to serve students as part of an innovative institution that provides a powerful learning environment for all.
The following policies are in effect at the COD Nursing Skills Laboratory:
Nursing Open Lab Policies
Our open laboratory includes a variety of equipment and supplies to support your ability to practice and meet the objectives of the Nursing program.
Nursing Laboratory (Practice Lab) - Health Sciences Center (HSC), Room 2142
The lab is open and equipped for your ongoing nursing proficiency practice needs. You will perform simulated practice until you have mastered the skill/procedure to the point where you can pass your return demonstration and safely perform the skill/procedure in the clinical setting.
In order to allow active learning to take place, certain policies regarding the lab have been established and must be observed by all:
- Hours will be posted in the lab, explained to you in your lab classes and posted on the student portal and nursing lab website. Lab hours are continually evaluated; if any changes are necessary, you will be notified by these means.
- Personal belongings (i.e. coats and books) are not lab staff responsibility. Please make sure that they are neatly placed out of the way for the consideration of other students. We have a locker room available in Health Sciences Center (HSC), Room 2117 for those students practicing in open lab and participating in simulations.
- No eating or drinking in the lab. When taking a break outside the lab, use the waste containers provided.
- If any of the mannequins or equipment is not working properly, report it immediately to the lab staff so that it may be repaired. Report any and all incidents or malfunctions to the lab staff. Students should not remove mannequins from the beds. Please ask for assistance.
- Lab staff members are available for assistance as needed during independent study/practice. Skill performance will be evaluated by faculty.
- After practicing skills, straighten unit/area so it is ready for the next student. Chairs should be replaced under the tables when leaving the area. Pick up any waste materials observed on the floor and place in trash containers. Return any lab issued supplies or equipment to designated location; example - needle and syringes to syringe box in designated areas. Wipe up all spills on floors. Keep beds in appropriate position with linens straightened before leaving and side rails in upright position. Turn off all over bed lights.
- The lab must maintain a study atmosphere; therefore, children and visitors are NOT allowed.
Note: Students are responsible for checking the student portal for updates and announcements.
** If a latex or betadine allergy exists or is suspected, please notify your clinical instructor and the lab personnel. **
These checklists outline some of the skills and procedures on which nursing students are evaluated during their lab work.
- Head-to-Toe Assessment 2015
- Administration of Oral Medication 2015
- Administration of Medication via G Tube 2015
- Administration of Parenteral Medications 2015
- Initiation of Peripheral Intravenous Catheter 2015
- Replacement of Intravenous Tubing and Intravenous Solution 2015
- Administration of Intravenous Piggyback Medication 2015
- Administration of IV Push Medication 2015
- Nasogastric Tube Insertion 2015
- Nasogastric Tube Removal 2015
- NP and OP Suctioning 2015
- Urinary Catheterization 2015
- Central Line Dressing Change 2015
- Tracheostomy Care 2015
- Tracheostomy Suctioning 2015
Nursing Lab Office
Nursing Lab Manager
If you are interested in learning more about this program, please
- Attend an advising session
- Visit a Health Career Program Advisor by calling (630) 942-2259 to make an appointment.
- For information or general inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com. (Please use above phone number only to schedule an appointment. Do not send an appointment request to this email).
- Attend an advising session
Feedback/compliments/concerns regarding this Health Science Program. For general inquiries, please use contact information listed above.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage