Practical Nurse (PN)
- The Practical Nursing Program as a traditional, stand-alone program is being phased out. The last cohort of students has been accepted. At this time, no applications are being taken for the Practical Nursing program.
- The revised Associate Degree Nursing program is being implemented in Fall 2013.
- Satisfactory completion of the first year of the Associate Degree Nursing program may make the student eligible to take for the Practical Nurse licensing exam.
- Beginning Fall 2013, admissions to the Associate Degree Nursing program will take
place twice a year. The application deadlines for this next year are:
- March 22, 2013 for Fall 2013
- October 25, 2013 for Spring 2014
As a reminder, there is information for all NURSING DEPARTMENT PROGRAM inquiries and students on the NURSING DEPARTMENT home page.
Specific questions about the application and admission to the program(s) can be directed to the Health Programs Admissions Advisor (630-942-2259) or the Health Programs Admissions Specialist (630-942-2482). However, it is strongly recommended that you attend the Program advising session as a first step.
The Practical Nursing program provides didactic, laboratory and clinical education for students interested in pursuing a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The PN program also serves as a transitional step for students interested in continuing their education by completing the Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) program at COD.
Students who earn a PN certificate are eligible to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination-Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN), and upon successful completion, are licensed as an LPN.
The PN certificate program at College of DuPage has been approved by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation/Board of Nursing and the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB).
Program Accreditation Status
The PN program is currently accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc. (NLNAC), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 500, Atlanta, GA, 30326.
Phone: (404) 975-5000
Fax: (404) 975-5020
For more information, contact Vickie Gukenberger, Director of Nursing, (630) 942-8433, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Administration of IVPB Medication 2010
- Administration of Medication via Intramuscular Injection 2010
- Administration of Medication via Subcutaneous Injection 2010
- Administration of Oral Medications 2010
- Head-to-Toe Assessment 2010
- Nasogastric Tube Insertion and Removal 2010
- Performing a Wet-to-Dry Dressing Change
- Replacement of Intravenous Tubing and Intravenous Solution 2010
- Tracheostomy Care and Suctioning Return 2010
- Urinary Catheterization with Indwelling 2010
Completing the program
Using Data: Program Improvement and Learning Enhancement
- Program Evaluation
- Student Outcome Assessment
- Systematic Evaluation Plan
Gainful Employment Information
View information about this program, including estimated cost and employment opportunities.
Health and Sciences Building
425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
FAX: (630) 858-5409
Nursing Skills Laboratory
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 2142, (630) 942-8398
Health and Sciences Division
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 1220, (630) 942-8331