District 502 Residency

Students who live within Community College District 502 for at least 30 days immediately prior to beginning of the semester are classified as residents of the College of DuPage district. Students are charged tuition according to the in-district tuition rate.

Residents of District 502 Border Communities

Only a portion of the following communities are located within College of DuPage/Community College District 502:

      • Aurora
      • Bolingbrook
      • Brookfield
      • Carol Stream
      • Elk Grove Village
      • Hanover Park
      • Plainfield
      • Roselle
      • West Chicago
      • Willow Springs

Students residing in these communities will be marked as out of district and charged tuition accordingly. To find out whether you reside in district, please contact Student Registration Services (SSC 2221) 630-942-2377. If it is determined that you live in district, your status will be changed to in district.

Proof of Residency Documents

When a question arises regarding in-district residency status, two different forms of proof are required. The student's name, address and a current date must be printed on the documents.

The student must bring one item from List A and one item from List B.

List A
(Photo ID)

  • Driver's License
  • State ID
  • Passport
  • Military ID


List B
(Current Address Verification)

You will need two additional items if your Photo ID does not have your current address.

  • Current utility bill (gas, electric, cable, etc.)
  • Current bank statement
  • Current lease or housing agreement
  • Current credit card statement
  • Current car registration
  • Library Card (Libraries in split towns are not acceptable)
  • Contract for Sale of Home
  • Paycheck Stub
  • Tax bill for district 502

If an adjustment (from out-of-district to in-district fees) is requested after the term starts, two items must demonstrate an in-district address for at least 30 days immediately prior to the beginning of the term. (Students who obtain residence within the district for reasons other than attending College of DuPage are exempt from the 30-day requirement.)

No adjustments will be made after midterm of the current term.

Questions can be directed to the Registration office, (630) 942-2377.

Out-of-District Resident

Students are classified as out-of-district if their home is within the state of Illinois but outside the College of DuPage district. Students are charged tuition according to the out-of-district tuition rate.

Out-of-State Resident

Students are classified as out-of-state if they have not lived within the state of Illinois for at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester or have declared their permanent residence to be outside the state of Illinois. Students are charged tuition according to the out-of-state tuition rate.

International Resident

Students whose permanent residences are outside the United States and who wish to attend College of DuPage while on a student visa are classified as international residents. Students are charged tuition according to the out-of-state tuition rate. 

Special Residency Classifications

Employed Full-Time in-District

A student who is an out-of-district resident but who is employed for a least 35 hours per week within the district, may be entitled to the in-district tuition rate. Final decisions on residency status are made by the Student Registration Services office. No tuition adjustments are made after mid-term.

In order to be eligible for in-district tuition, please provide a letter to the Student Registration Services office, Student Services Center, (SSC) Room 2221, fax (630) 790-3785. The requirements for the letter are as follows:

  1. Written on company letterhead with the company name, in district address and phone number included.
  2. Written by someone who is able to verify full-time employment, such as owner, supervisor or representative of the Human Resources department.
  3. Contain the name, birth date, month and year of their hire date and Social Security number, if possible, of the student. The letter must indicate that the student is full time.

Letters must be provided each semester.

For Programs Not Offered by College of DuPage
If College of DuPage does not offer a particular program of study, students may be eligible for a cooperative agreement or chargeback which allows them to enroll in the program at an out-of-district community college and pay their in-district tuition rates.

Community College District 502 (map) consists of communities from most of DuPage and parts of Will and Cook counties.


Individuals who want to enroll in an Associate in Applied Science degree or certificate program not offered by their own community college or through the Cooperative Agreement program may apply for a chargeback, which is financial assistance with the out-of-district portion of the tuition (Board Policy 25-50). Students must apply for a chargeback through their own community college at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the term for which they intend to enroll at College of DuPage.

Chargebacks are available for community colleges within the State of Illinois. Most community college districts do not approve chargebacks for single courses within a program of study, developmental courses, non-credit courses, and Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degrees.