Orientation Leader Program
Thank you for your interest in the Orientation Leader Program! Our goal is to generate excitement for the new school year by connecting new students with enthusiastic and motivated orientation leaders and current students. Apply today!
Application Deadline for Summer/Fall 2017 is April 7, 2017.
What is new Student Orientation?
New Student Orientation (NSO) is a program dedicated to welcoming new students to College of DuPage and encouraging them get to know other students, faculty, staff and our wonderful campus. Our goal is to get new students pumped about meeting new people, starting classes, and being a Chaparral. We strive to help them learn about the many awesome opportunities available to them as they begin their student life at College of DuPage.
Who are Orientation Leaders and what do they do?
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are the face of the college! OLs serve as role models as well as sources of support and information for new first time students at the College of DuPage. OLs play a major role in facilitating the adjustment of new students and their families to the College of DuPage community. They share accurate information about academic, personal and social resources while working collaboratively with faculty, staff and student workers from other areas on campus. An OL's goal should be to help make the transition easier and exciting for new students. OLs represent the college in a positive, passionate and professional manner.
Some expectations include:
- Attending and participating in all training, team-building sessions, NSO days
- Serving as an initial contact person to incoming students and their families at NSO
- Facilitating group activities and social engagement with new students at orientation
- Acting as a positive role-model and a resource person to new students
- Completing set up, preparation, event activities, and break down of NSO
- Following up with students after NSO
- Committing to a minimum of 5 hours towards new student outreach
- Completing Phase 1 of the Living Leadership Program (LLP)
What are the Requirements to Become an Orientation Leader?
In order to be considered to become an Orientation Leader, you must be:
- currently enrolled at College of DuPage
- a returning student the following Fall, enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
- in good academic standing at COD, with a minimum GPA of 2.0
- able to work with students, faculty and professional staff
- excited to work in a team environment, and comfortable addressing groups of people
- positive, enthusiastic and motivated to succeed
- committed to completing Phase 1 of the Living Leadership Program
What are the Benefits of Becoming an Orientation Leader?
As an Orientation Leader, you will:
- Complete Phase 1 of the Living Leadership Program (see below for more information)
- Gain exceptional experience in leadership, public speaking, active listening and teamwork
- Be part of a team and potentially meet new friends
- Share in several group activities, including training and social activities
- Develop connections with various faculty and staff while learning more about the college processes and the many resources available at College of DuPage
- Make a positive contribution to the community, as well as make the most of your college experience
What is the Compensation for Becoming an Orientation Leader?
Upon successful completion of the program, OLs are expected to schedule an individual scholarship meeting to discuss the experience and receive/ contribute feedback. Once the scholarship meeting is complete and the required self-reflections are submitted, Orientation Leaders are awarded a $500 monetary scholarship and eligible to receive letters of recommendation. Failure to complete the program may result in total loss, or significant reduction of scholarship.
What is the Living Leadership Program and How Will I complete Phase 1?
The Living Leadership Program is a free, non-transcript certificate program at College of DuPage focused on developing students into active leaders and positive change-makers. The program is divided into 2 phases to meet the diverse needs of College of DuPage students.
Phase 1 introduces you to leadership and focuses on leading of self and others through practical skill development workshops and involvement in campus life. Students who complete Phase 1 are honored at the Annual Student Life Celebration and Awards Ceremony in April. After completing the portfolio students are also eligible to move on to Phase 2.
If you are selected to become an orientation leader, part of your commitment to NSO and the OL program is completing Phase 1 of the Living Leadership Program. The requirements for OLs completing Phase 1 are as follows:
- Participate in the NSO Leader Program
- Complete 5 Leadership development workshops, including StrengthsQuest
- Complete and submit Living Leadership Portfolio by 4:30 p.m., Friday, August 18, 2017.
What Kind of Training and Development Opportunities will there be?
Orientation Leaders will improve communication and team-building skills, and gain worthwhile leadership experience. OLs are required to attend all training sessions, orientation sessions, and complete new student outreach hours prior to scheduling the individual scholarship meeting.
There are 7 training dates: May 25, July 13, July 31, August 1-3 and August 7 (Specific times and training details will be available at the time of interviews.)
You must be available from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.:
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Thursday, August 10, 2017
August 21 – September 8 (5 hours over 3 weeks, flexible)
There are a number of ways to pick up an application. You can download an application from the gray resource box to the right of this page.
You can pick up an application from the Office of Student Life, located in Student Services Center, Room 1217 (SSC 1217). Just stop by the front desk and request to check out an Orientation Leader application packet.
You can check out an application packet at the Orientation Leader recruiting table which is located in the hallway behind Starbucks on Tuesdays from 1:30 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Applications and recommendation forms are due by 4:30 p.m., April 7, 2017.
If you have questions regarding the Orientation Leader Program, please contact the Orientation Leader Assistant at StudentLife.NSO@cod.edu.
New Student Orientation
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage