The following Chaparral Career Advantage workshops are free (unless otherwise noted) and open to all students, alumni, and community members. Student registration is available in Chap Life - visit chaplife.cod.edu. On-site registration will be available for alumni and community members day of the workshop. Walk-ins are welcome.
Questions can be directed to Career Services at (630) 942-2230.
For Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations, call (630) 942-2141 (voice) or (630) 858-9692 (TDD).
Unsure what career to choose or what to pursue academically? Looking to make a career change but don't know where to begin? This Career Exploration workshop may be for you. The Self-Directed Search is a starting point for research and understanding of what career options are out there for participants to further investigate for themselves.
Pre-registration is required for this workshop. Interested participants may call (630) 942-2230 or visit Career Services in SSC 3258 to register. Registration closes 1 week prior to the listed workshop date.
The following steps must be completed at least one week prior to attending this workshop.
- Register for one of the sessions listed below.
- Stop in Career Services, SSC 3258, to pick up a permit for the SDS assessment.
- At least one week prior to the workshop, take the permit to COD Specialized Testing Center in the Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2A08 and complete the SDS assessment. The assessment should take approximately 30 minutes to complete and the cost is $10.
- Assessment results and interpretation will be distributed and discussed at your scheduled workshop.
The following dates and times are available for registration:
- Tuesday, Feb. 11, 6 to 7:30 p.m., BIC 3419
- Wednesday, Mar. 18, noon to 1:30 p.m., BIC 3C08
- Wednesday, Apr. 8, 6 to 7:30 p.m., BIC 3419
- Tuesday, Apr. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., BIC 3C04
Did you know that over 90% of employers use LinkedIn? This workshop will introduce the professional networking website. Being an active LinkedIn user is crucial to success. Participants will learn more than just how to build a profile but key features such as the job board, discussion groups, and alumni searches will be highlighted.
- Thursday, Jan. 30, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. *Webinar*
- Tuesday, Feb. 18, 5 to 6:30 p.m., SCC 123
- Wednesday, Mar. 11, 5 to 6:30 p.m., SSC 2201
- Thursday, Apr. 16, noon to 1:30 p.m., SCC 112
- Tuesday, May 5, 5 to 6:30 p.m., SCC123
*Please visit the event listing at Chaplife.cod.edu for webinar instructions.
Job Shadow Program Information Session
Learn more about a brand-new career exploration opportunity for Spring 2020!
- Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2 to 3 p.m., BIC 3415
- Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., BIC 3415
Build the skills and confidence you need to get the salary you deserve. Learn techniques and strategies to prepare you for negotiating salary, hourly wage, and benefits over the phone and in-person. We also dive into researching salary and how to leverage your strengths, experience, skills, and knowledge. There will be live demonstrations with opportunities for you to practice as the employer and the applicant.
- Tuesday, Apr. 14, noon to 12:30 p.m., BIC 1453
Next Level Job Search
Discover new ways to find job opportunities! Working as a group, we will brainstorm key terms to create personal search strategies. Whether you are new to job searching, looking to make a career transition, re-entering the workforce, or wanting to find another opportunity, you can use these exercises to transform your general searches into a job journey.
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 6 to 7 p.m., BIC 3415
- Wednesday, Apr. 22, 6 to 7 p.m. BIC3415
Stop in for a half-hour meeting with a Career Specialist. Meetings are first come, first served.
Starting February 4th:
- Every Tuesday from 1 to 3 p.m., SSC 3258
- Every Wednesday from 9 to 11 a.m., SSC 3258
Please Note: During the month of March, walk-ins will only be held on Friday, March 13 and Thursday, March 19, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. in preparation for the Career and Internship Fair.
Q & A Table & Free Popcorn
Have a quick question for Career Services? Stop by our table and get free popcorn.
- Tuesday, Feb. 14, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. HSC Atrium
- Thursday, Apr. 30, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Behind Starbucks
Service Learning and Volunteer Fair
The Service Learning and Volunteer Fair will provide students the opportunity to network and discuss service learning and volunteer opportunities with local non for profit organizations. This event will be held in the Student Services Atrium and over 30 community partners will be representing their organizations and recruiting COD students to participate.
- Thursday, Feb. 6, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. SSC Atrium
Do you have a resume? Is it ready for employers? Stop by the SSC Atrium for our Resume Fair! Learn quick tips for resume writing and how Career Services can help you with your resume.
- Tuesday, Mar. 10, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., SSC Atrium
Career and Internship Fair 2020 Events
Career and Internship Fair
Local employers will be on campus to discuss available jobs and internships with job seekers. Don't miss the opportunity to network. A FREE LinkedIn photo booth will be available from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. (Registration is required) Come dressed to impress and bring copies of your resume!
- Tuesday, Mar. 24 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., SRC 2000
Career and Internship Fair Information Tables & Free Popcorn
Want to learn more about the fair? Have a quick question about preparing for the event? Stop by our table and get free popcorn too!
- Tuesday, Mar. 3, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Behind Starbucks
- Tuesday, Mar. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. SRC 2000 Lobby
- Wednesday, Mar. 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Outside of Student Life
Career Fair Prep Walk-Ins
Need quick assistance preparing for the fair? Stop in for a half-hour meeting with a Career Specialist. Meetings are first come, first served.
- Friday, Mar. 13, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m., SSC 3258
- Thursday, Mar. 19, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m., SSC 3258
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.