The Health and Science Center (HSC) has many unique features for students pursuing careers in health sciences.
The HSC contains several classrooms and student laboratories.
There are many areas throughout the building where students can gather to study or work on classwork.
One of the many highlights of the HSC is the simulated operating room and Simulation Center.
Natural light shines into student areas.
The HSC is the home to many programs, including:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical Imaging
- Nuclear Medicine
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Care
- Surgical Technology
The HSC provides a combination of laboratory, classroom, office and instructional space. Highlights include an operating room, full dental lab and Dental Hygiene Clinic, medical imaging laboratories, and a Sim Hospital that contains four private rooms, an operational nurse's station, a simulation de-briefing room and the use of high-fidelity manikins that recreate high-risk and non-emergency patient scenarios for students.
The building received LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. Sustainable features include:
- Orientation of the building that minimizes extreme heat gain from east and west solar exposures.
- Sun screens that reduce glare and alleviate solar heat gain and loss on southern exposures
- Rain cisterns that collect roof storm water for irrigation of the outdoor teaching lab
- A "green roof" to retain roof storm water and provide a high level of building insulation.
The 190,500 square foot building was completed in 2009 and funded through proceeds from a successful 2002 capital referendum.
Construction Manager: Gilbane Building Company