The Reading Placement Test is designed to assist students in determining their preparedness to read most college - level texts. Test scores indicate level of reading proficiency, which will be important for success in courses requiring college-level reading ability.
Students are required to take the Reading Placement Test unless they have one of the following:
- College-level credit totaling 12 semester hours with at least a “C” average.
- College certificate, Associate degree, BA/BS degree, Graduate degree.
- 2.6 cumulative non-weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent, with a minimum of 7 high school semesters.Proof of GPA must be provided.*
- ACT composite score of 20 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- SAT total score of 950 or higher. Proof of score must be provided. (NEW exam starting March 2016)
- SAT verbal/critical reading score of 500. Proof of score must be provided. (OLD exam prior to March 2016)
- TOEFL score of 550 paper/pencil, 213 computer-based or 79 Internet-based. Proof of score must be provided.
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- ACCUPLACER Reading test transferred from another institution with minimum cut–off score. Official score report required.
* Grade point average must be from a high school in the United States or a country with English as an official language. Special education and ESL/ELS coursework are not eligible. Students who attended more than one high school must submit transcripts from all high schools and GPA will be recalculated.
Note: For students applying to a Health Science program, the Reading Placement test may be required regardless of the above exemptions. See program packet for details. Students applying to Engineering Pathways are required to take the Math placements test. Students will also need to take a Reading and Writing placement test unless they have a qualifying ACT or SAT score.
If required to take the ACCUPLACER Reading placement test cut scores are listed below.
Reading Placement Scores
|Category||Next Generation Accuplacer Score Effective Oct. 29, 2018||Classic ACCUPLACER Score||Course Placement|
|1||246 - 300||70 - 120||Reading Competency Requirement (RCR) met|
|2||235 - 245||53 - 69||English 0482|
|3||222 - 234||33 - 52||English 0481|
|4||200 - 221||20 - 32||English 0480|
Academic Testing Center, Glen Ellyn - Main Campus
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2A06, (630) 942-2400
Fax: (630) 942-3724
Specialized Testing Center, Glen Ellyn - Main Campus
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2A08, (630) 942-2400
Fax: (630) 942-3724