Nontraditional Careers are defined as those in which 25 percent or less of a certain gender is represented.
- Automotive Technology
- Aviation Maintenance Technology
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Construction and Trades
- Culinary Arts
- Engineering Technology
- Fire Science Technology
- Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
- Hospital Administration
- Law Enforcement
- Radio and TV Broadcasting
- Welding Technology
- Accounting Technology
- Child Care
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Hygiene
- Early Childhood Educator/Teachers Aide
- Executive/Administrative Assistant
- Fashion Merchandising and Design
- Interior Design
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal Professional
- Medical Lab Technology
- Nurse or Nurse Assistant
- Office Supervision
- Social Work
- Teacher's Assistant
- Travel and Tourism
Why Are Nontraditional Careers Important?
Many of the fastest growing fields in CTE and STEM careers are in nontraditional fields. Being familiar with nontraditional fields, as well as their importance to the work force, will make you more aware of gender bias and representation in the future.
Providing all persons with the full range of opportunities and benefits, no matter their gender.
Behaviors that result when we stereotype people on the basis of his or her gender.
Any action that limits or prohibits equal opportunities, privileges or rewards because of gender.
Gender Role Stereotyping
The assumption that men and women have certain interests, abilities, values and characteristics based upon his or her gender.
A nontraditional career is one in which less than 25% of the career field is represented by a specific gender.
The Power of Language
Biased Job Titles versus Unbiased Job Titles
- Assemblyman — Assembler
- Businessman — Business Manager/Executive
- Cameraman — Camera Operator
- Cleaning Lady — Housekeeper/Custodian
- Clergyman — Clergy
- Congressman — Congressperson/Representative
- Craftsman — Skilled Worker/Artisan
- Draftsman — Drafter
- Fireman — Firefighter
- Foreman — Supervisor/Manager
- Insurance Man — Insurance Agent
- Middleman — Liaison/Intermediary
- Mailman — Letter Carrier
- Man Hours — Working Hours
- Manpower — Labor Force/Workers
- Paperboy — Newspaper Carrier
- Policeman — Police Officer/Law Enforcement
- Repairman — Repairer/Repair Person
- Salesman — Sales Agent/Associate
- Stewardess — Flight Attendant
- Weatherman — Weather Forecaster/Meteorologist
- Workman's Comp — Worker's Compensation
Benefits of Nontraditional Careers
You're going to spend the next 30 years working, shouldn't you do something that you will enjoy. Find a job that will use our interests and skills.
Society is changing, and there is a large push for equality among men and women. Help get rid of the sayings, "that's a man's job", or "that's a woman's job".
With the push for equality, men and women in these types of roles often get promoted quicker because there is a high demand at all entry levels.
Many nontraditional careers have higher salaries and better benefits compared to other occupations that require the same level of education
There are scholarships available for specific genders in these types of career paths to help promote the fields.