Welcome to the office for Adult Basic Education (ABE), High School Equivalency (HSE) and English Language Acquisition (ELA). Our mission is to provide free, quality instructional programming and support services to help adults learn English and civics, improve reading, writing, math skills and prepare to pass high school equivalency exams.
Students who successfully complete our programs acquire the skills necessary to improve employment opportunities, advance to further education or training and are more involved in their communities.
Classes are offered in more than 25 locations throughout our district. Chances are we are in your neighborhood – let us help you take that next step.
Adult Basic Education is designed for adults who lack a high school diploma. Classes meet three-to-six hours per week and are offered at locations throughout the district.
- Build reading, writing, math and problem-solving skills.
- Take the first step toward obtaining high school equivalency.
Contact us today for more information at (630) 942-3697 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Free High School Equivalency (GED) classes can help prepare adults who lack a high school diploma to successfully pass the GED®, HiSet exam or TASC test and earn a high school equivalency certificate.
- Prepare in five areas covered on the tests: social studies, science, interpreting literature and the arts, mathematics and writing.
- Online classes are available to qualified students.
- Separate classes are available to prepare students to pass the U.S. and Illinois Constitution tests.
Contact us today for more information at (630) 942-3697 or email@example.com
English Language Acquisition classes are free classes that will help develop your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills for work, education and every day communication.
- Classes are taught by experienced faculty and at convenient days and times.
- Books are free.
- Express classes and free citizenship courses are available.
Contact us today for more information at (630) 942-3697 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All students must take the TABE placement test and attend a short orientation/intake session prior to registration. Placement testing, orientation and registration take approximately 2 ½ hours. Children are not allowed in the testing room so please plan ahead.
Testing and registration is offered at the following locations. Please call specific location for hours of availability.
- Glen Ellyn Campus, (630) 942-2400
- Addison Learning Commons, (630) 942-4650
- Carol Stream Learning Commons, (630) 942-4900
- Naperville Learning Commons, (630) 942-4750
- Westmont Learning Commons, (630) 942-4850
Other Programs at COD
- Academic English Language Studies program (ELS)
To learn more about this program, please visit that program's website.
- Spanish GED®
Free GED preparation classes prepare Spanish speaking adults who lack a high school diploma to successfully pass the GED® tests and earn a high school equivalency. Registration is offered in class. Call (630) 942-3697 for more information.
To register or for detailed program information, call Adult Education at (630) 942-3697 or visit our office in the Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 1110. To view our complete program listing, see the Fall 2019 Continuing Education Schedule of Classes or Spring 2020 Continuing Education Schedule of Classes.
Adult Education and ELA Office
425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 1110, (630) 942-3697
Fax: (630) 942-3804
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.