The Learning Commons offers COD students a broad range of free academic support options including tutoring, math assistance and writing, reading and speech assistance. The Learning Commons can also provide general accommodations for students including:
- Two computers with zoom-text and one large-print keyboard
- iPads for student to use with tutors while in the Learning Commons
- One Intel Reader converts printed text to digital text, then reads it aloud while highlighting the text onscreen
- Earplugs, headphones, daylight lamp, and handheld magnifying glass with a light
- Distraction-free setting, when available
- Accommodations and full support for students with physical disabilities
Math Assistance Area (MAA) - Walk-in Math Assistance
- MAA offers to extend 15-minute normal sessions to 30 minutes for those who self-identify and ask for a longer time. All sessions are one-on-one.
- If the MAA is crowded, it may not be able to allow the longer time after the first session.
- For longer session(s), it is best to make an appointment, but it is not required. Students may call (630) 942-3339 to schedule an appointment.
- One calculator available with larger buttons/ display (basic—4-function plus square roots)
- Students need to indicate on the Tutoring Services Request Form that they have registered with the Center for Access and Accommodations.
- An Accommodations Support Specialist in Tutoring reviews student documentation if available at the Center for Access and Accommodations. The specialist will make recommendations to the tutors to personalize tutoring sessions and maximize benefit.
Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance (WRSA)
- Students with accommodations are allowed four, 45-minute appointments each week in each of the following: reading, writing, and speech.
- An Accommodations Support Specialist reviews student documentation if available and necessary at the Center for Access and Accommodations. The specialist will make recommendations to coaches to further assist the student.
Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance