Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance Mission
Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance (WRSA) of College of DuPage serves to assist and support both experienced and inexperienced writers and readers in all stages of the writing, reading, and speech processes. Our goal is to develop and use strategies that create better writers, readers, and public speakers in all disciplines. Coaches foster lively discourse in a collaborative setting as a free service to current COD students, staff, and faculty.
Our coaches work to
- Listen carefully to the student’s explanation of the assignment and help the student deepen his or her sense of understanding.
- Help the student carefully plan the most effective strategies for achieving his or her purpose and improving his or her skills.
- Take instructor's comments and evaluations seriously, as part of the learning process within which the student must operate.
- Provide a non-threatening environment and a safe place for students to talk about their work.
Our ultimate aim is to develop better writers, readers, and presenters!
Our coaches will NOT
- Provide proofreading or editing services.
- Write papers for students.
- "Correct" papers.
- Ignore problems in grammar, spelling, and usage.
- Criticize or otherwise undermine faculty members.
- Question a professor's methods or goals for instruction.
Learning Commons West
Technical Education Center (TEC), Room 1016B, (630) 942-3960