The following outlines the demonstrated competency process for the ASLI program at COD.
- Contact the program coordinator to schedule an interview.
- Pay the $75.00 fee to the testing center prior to the interview.
- Interviews will be cancelled if the fee is not paid.
- Students may request an interview to waive more than one course, but the $75.00 fee must be paid per course.
- All interviews must be scheduled prior to the start of the semester.
- Interviews are limited to the following courses:
- Students who demonstrate competency in the areas outlined below will be waived from
the appropriate course(s) and must contact the Coordinator for a permit to register
for the next courses in the sequence.
Students must demonstrate the following for the respective courses:
- Demonstrate moderate expressive and receptive fingerspelling/number skills
- Demonstrate the ability to discuss family, occupations, daily routines, attribute qualities, and describe physical surroundings
- Demonstrate appropriate facial grammatical markers for negations, commands, yes/no questions, wh-questions, and rhetorical sentence structures.
- Demonstrate topic-comment and contrastive structure with accurate nonmanual markers
- Demonstrate role-shifting and utilize space
- Demonstrate complex vocabulary to make suggestions, requests, and complaints, express concerns, opinions, and to ask for clarification
- Demonstrate the ability to explain rules, discuss health conditions, finances and major life choices
- Demonstrate temporal aspect, verb inflection, and conditional sentences
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of the seven classifier categories
- Demonstrate clear handshapes of each fingerspelled letter and number
- Demonstrate rules of fingerspelling and numbers in terms of:
- Palm Orientation
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the three C’s of fingerspelling to determine a word
- Demonstrate moderate expressive and receptive lexicalized fingerspelled signing
- Demonstrate ranges of expressions, vocabulary, grammar, and non-verbal techniques
- Demonstrate the ability to explain nouns both present and absent
- Demonstrate the ability to discuss complex and abstract ideas
- Demonstrate multifaceted idiomatic expressions, loan signs, and conversational forms of fingerspelling and sign production
- Demonstrate body language that correlates to the dialogue
SIGN - 2103
- Demonstrate fluency expressing and comprehending ASL through flow and cohesion
- Demonstrate fluency in idiomatic language usage, vocabulary, and syntax
- Demonstrate advanced narratives in ASL
- Demonstrate fluency in ASL discourse structures
- Spatial Organization
- Demonstrate competency using sign in formal and informal registers
- Demonstrate conceptually accurate sign choices