Likely Required Courses
- Biology 1151, 1152
- Chemistry 1551 (Math 1431 (or equivalent) is a pre-requisite to Chemistry 1551) and 1552 (inorganic); Chemistry 2551 and 2552 (organic).
- Integral and Differential Calculus Math 2231 and 2232. The sequence to Math 2231 and 2232 is Math 1431 > Math 1432 > Math 2231 > Math 2232.
Also consider taking Biology 2150, Ecology; Zoology 2250, Comparative Zoology; and/or Zoology 2260, Invertebrate Zoology. You may want to take Microbiology 1420, but check with the four-year institution.
Medical School Admission
Entrance to medical school is very competitive. Applicants may be required to take the MCAT or OAT exam according to pursuit (i.e., medical, optometry, or podiatry). Some work (volunteer/paid) at a hospital may help boost your resume. A letter from a physician is also suggested.
Medical Schools in Illinois
- Finch University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, 2160 S. First Ave., Maywood, IL 60153
- Midwestern University, 555 31st Street, Downers Gove, IL 60515
- Northwestern University Medical School, 303 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611-3008
- Rush Medical College of Rush University, 600 South Paulina St., Chicago, IL 60612
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, 801 North Rutledge, P.O. Box 19620, Springfield, IL 62794-9620
- University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine, 5841 South Maryland Ave., MC1000, Chicago, IL 60637-1470
- University of Illinois College of Medicine, 1853 West Polk St., (M/C 784), Chicago, IL 60612
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Division
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2E06