Accelerate Your Progress, Simplify Your Assignments
Our Accelerated Learning Program consists of two courses taken in the same semester and taught by the same instructor. The English 0493 course provides extra support and instruction for the work assigned in the English 1101 course.
Here is a short video that can tell you a little more about this great program.
Who Should Enroll in ALP English?
ALP is for students who meet our reading placement requirements but not our writing requirements. ALP is also well-suited for students who would like support from tutors, learning specialists, counselors, career coaches, and advisors.
ALP is for you if
- You feel confident in your college-level reading comprehension skills but need additional support on your writing skills
- You would benefit from having more interaction with your professor.
- You are ready for the challenge of college-level courses.
- You have a Category 1 reading placement score.
Who does not need ALP?
Students who meet our writing placement requirements can enroll directly into English 1101 and should NOT register for English ALP.
Do not register for ALP if you have any of the following
- A high school GPA of 2.6 and above or An ACT score of 20 and above
- An SAT score of 950 and above
- An ACCUPLACER score of Reading Category 1 AND Writing Category 1
- An ACCUPLACER score of Reading Category of 2, 3, or 4
What are the Benefits of Enrolling in ALP English?
You should take ALP English because
- You'll save time by completing two required English courses in one semester.
- You'll have the same instructor and shared assignments for both courses.
- ALP students enjoy extra support in a classroom community with direct access to college services such as advising.
- Your ALP class will help you build college success strategies and become a more confident learner.
- Research shows that ALP students are more likely to succeed in their college-level English classes than students who take two courses separately.
I’m Ready to Register
Registration for ALP sections requires a permit. You can obtain a permit by contacting Registration. Your counselor, program advisor, or instructor can also issue a permit to the Registration office.
Students must enroll in co-requisite sections (ex: ENGLI-0493-ALP08 and ENGLI-1101-ALP08). Courses are taught in the VCM method (Virtual Classroom Meeting) online as a group within the times listed on the schedule. The instructor will provide specifics during the first class meeting. All assignments are submitted online.
English Department Chairs
Chair of Developmental English
Chair of Composition
Chair of Literature, Creative Writing and Film