medical assistant taking patient's blood pressure

Medical Assistant Frequently Asked Questions

A medical assistant is a health professional that performs a wide variety of administrative and clinical tasks within a physician’s office.

Medical assistant jobs vary from office to office, but in general, these health care workers will greet patients, update and file patient and medical records, fill out insurance forms, schedule appointments and handle billing and accounting procedures. In addition, a medical assistant takes patient medical histories and vital signs, prepares patients for examination, collects blood specimens by both capillary or veripuncture technique, gives injections, removes sutures, performs basic laboratory tests, sterilizes equipment, authorizes and phones in drug refills, perform EKGs, prepare patients for X-rays, and explains treatment procedures to patients.

In 2018, 95% of medical assistants surveyed work in physicians' practices and the other 5% in hospitals, in nursing homes, outpatient facilities, public health departments, and offices of other health practitioners, such as dentists, podiatrists, chiropractors, and optometrists.

Earnings vary depending on location, experience and skill level. However, the average entry-level medical assistant will earn approximately $17.23 per hour according to the AAMA 2018 salary survey.

Due to an increasing number of physician group practices, the medical assistant career is one of the ten fastest-growing careers in health care, and is expected to maintain this momentum of fast growth through the year 2026.

Yes. Please look at the Registration Packet for more information. Students must have a high school diploma or GED. 

Call Medical Assistant Program Coordinator Diane Gryglak, (630) 942-3507.

Program Contact Information

Please visit the Program Contacts page for detailed information.