Why Speech Communication Matters
Have you ever considered what percentage of your day you spend communicating with yourself or others? Most communication experts agree that anywhere between 80 to 90 percent of our day is engaged in active communication. Employment research indicates that communication is the most sought-after skill for college graduates. It’s no wonder strong communication skills help you achieve more in the classroom, in the workplace and in life. Speech Communication at COD offers more than 20 courses to help you develop poise and confidence, build group interaction strategies and tap creativity. Speech courses cover a wide array of topics taught by dedicated faculty with years of education and professional experience.
- Communication competence is linked to college success.
- Verbal communication skills are the top must-have skills for job candidates.
- Public speaking anxiety decreased for more than 40 percent of COD students who took Speech 1100 in fall 2018.
Get a Head Start
Speech 1100—Fundamentals of Speech Communication is a three-credit class all four-year, degree-seeking students must complete to meet the general education requirement. Taking this foundational course early in your academic career helps you prepare for success in college and beyond. This is an in-demand course at COD, with an estimated 5,100 students enrolled each academic year. Speech 1100 is offered year-round on the main campus and at all four COD Centers.
Variety of Speech Courses
- Speech 1100 is an important first step for most students. You can also delve deeper into the subject. Other speech courses include:
- Advanced Public Speaking
- Applied Forensics
- Argumentation and Debate
- Business Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Nonverbal Communication
- Oral Interpretation
- Public Relations
- Small-Group Communication
- Sports Communication
If you have not applied to College of DuPage, you will need to apply before registering. Apply now.
If you have already applied to College of DuPage, you may register for Speech 1100. Register now.
Arts, Communication, and Hospitality Division Office
McAninch Arts Center (MAC), Room 219