Who is a First Generation Student?
At College of DuPage, students are considered "First Generation" if one or both of their parents/legal guardians:
- Did not attend a four-year college/university.
- Attempted some college, but did not complete a bachelor's degree.
- Attended a community college, a technical school, or an institution in another country.
- Did attend college, but you (the student) have lived away from them for more than half of your life.
- You are an adult student (20+) and you meet one of the above.
First Generation Student Series
Starting college can seem intimidating for first-generation students whether you are a recent high school graduate or an adult student. We understand the process can seem complicated and that students may struggle to know where to begin, what questions to ask, and who to ask for help. This session will give students an introduction to College of DuPage, the admission process and general college information.
Financing a college education can be stressful for a first-generation student. Our goal is to help first-generation students understand their financial options and to provide insight on resources and opportunities available at College of DuPage. This session will provide students with tools to better consider what financial option is best.
Register for an upcoming virtual event by clicking on a date that works best for you. If you have not logged into our application portal, you will need to create a profile before you register.
- Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2020, 6 to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021, 6 to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 19th, 2021, 6 to 7 p.m.
What You Will Learn
Students will learn about:
- Budgeting for college
- Applying for FAFSA
- How FAFSA works at College of DuPage
- Calculating tuition and other expenses
- Payment Options (payment plans and scholarships)
- Resources for undocumented, DACAmented or mixed-status families
- A confirmation email with instructions on how to join the session will be sent to the email address you provide on the registration form.
Note for parents & guardians: we encourage you to register for the event using your own name and email address. Please do not use a combination of your students name and a parent email address. This will cause setbacks to your students application.
All First Generation Series events at College of DuPage are free.
Learn more about the First Generation Series events at College of DuPage by contacting the Office of Admissions & Outreach at email@example.com.