Who is a First Generation Student?
At College of DuPage, students are considered "First Generation" if one or both of their parents/legal guardians:
- Did not attend a four-year college/university.
- Attempted some college, but did not complete a bachelor's degree.
- Attended a community college, a technical school, or an institution in another country.
- Did attend college, but you (the student) have lived away from them for more than half of your life.
- You are an adult student (20+) and you meet one of the above.
First Generation Student Series
Starting college can seem intimidating for first-generation students whether you are a recent high school graduate or an adult student. We understand the process can seem complicated and that students may struggle to know where to begin, what questions to ask, and who to ask for help. This session will give students an introduction to College of DuPage, the admission process and general college information.
This session is for students that have submitted their application to College of DuPage and are wondering what to do next. During this session you will meet staff from different departments that will explain how to better prepare for your next steps. Our goal is to prepare recent high school graduates and adult students on what to expect as they navigate their final steps before classes begin. This is a great session to address student’s questions, doubts and concerns.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2020, 6 to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 6 to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 6 to 7 p.m.
What You Will Learn
During this session, students will hear from:
- Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services: What happens at NSAR (New Student Advising and Registration)? Understanding placement tests/scores, course selection and the importance of self-care.
- Learning Commons: Tutoring services, placement test preparation and other available workshops.
- Student Financial Assistance: Paying tuition, understanding the Financial Aid Award Letter and important requirements.
A confirmation email with instructions on how to join the session will be sent to the email address you provide on the registration form.
A note for parents & guardians: we encourage you to register for the event using your own name and email address. Please DO NOT use a combination of your students name and a parent email address. This will cause setbacks to your student’s application.
All First Generation Series events at College of DuPage are free.
Learn more about the First Generation Series events at College of DuPage by contacting the Office of Admissions & Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org.