types of aid available image

Types of Aid Available

Students can apply for financial assistance with help in paying their tuition and fees with a wide variety of financial assistance programs. Many students receive some type of financial assistance to help fund their education. If you are interested in applying for financial assistance, the Office of Student Financial Aid is here to help you sort through all of the information to make financially responsible decisions.

A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need and who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (A professional degree would include a degree in a field such as pharmacy or dentistry.)

For many students, the Federal Pell Grant provides a foundation of financial aid to which other types of financial aid may be added.

The Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) does not have to repaid. The Illinois MAP Grant is awarded to Illinois residents who attend approved Illinois colleges and demonstrate financial need. MAP Grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. The Illinois MAP Grant covers Fall and Spring Semesters only. The MAP Grant does not cover Summer Semesters. Be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP Grants are possible.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) does not have to be repaid. It is awarded to students who demonstrate the most high need and is awarded on a first come, first serve basis. The FSEOG Grant covers Fall and Spring Semesters only. The FSEOG Grant does not cover Summer Semesters.

Federal Work-Study provides student aide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study. Please Note: Being awarded Federal Work Study does not guarantee a job. The student must still go through the job interview process and be hired.

Federal Direct loans, unlike grants, do need to be repaid. These are low interest, government guaranteed loans. The U.S. Department of Education offers Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education.

Federal PLUS Loans are loans that parents of dependent, undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses. Unlike the Federal Direct loans, the Federal PLUS loans are not guaranteed. There is a credit check for the parents.

Scholarships do not have to repaid. Scholarships are offered by schools, employers, individuals, private companies, nonprofits, communities, religious groups, and professional and social organizations. Eligibility for scholarships can be based on merit, need, community service, academic program and population specific. For more information and/or to apply, visit Scholarships

The Federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money for college to veterans, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans or active duty personnel. For more information, visit Veteran Services

*The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed. If the student is a dependent, both the student and the parent will be required to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID.

Contact Information

Office of Student Financial Assistance
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 2220
(630) 942-2251
Email: financialaid@cod.edu
Fax: (630) 942-2151

Regular Hours

  • Monday and Tuesday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Wednesday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Follow us:

Instagram logoInstagram: @CODFinancialAssistance

Facebook logoFacebook: CODFinancialAssistance

Twitter logoTwitter: @CODFinancialAid