Form 1098-T: Frequently Asked Questions

What is Form 1098-T?

IRS Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, contains information to assist the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and you in determining if you are eligible to claim educational related tax credits. For more information on these credits, see IRS Publication 970 or consult your own tax advisor.

Am I required to submit my 1098-T to the IRS?

No. Form 1098-T is for informational purposes only and does not need to be submitted to the IRS by the student.

When will I receive my Form 1098-T?

If you consent to receive your 1098-T electronically, your form will be available to view on the student portal before January 31. An email will be sent to your College of DuPage email address once the form is available to view. The email will include directions on how to view your 1098-T electronically. 

If you did not consent to receive Form 1098-T electronically, the form will be mailed to your home address on file with College of DuPage. The form will be postmarked by January 31.

What reporting changes occurred with Form 1098-T?

Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, the College will report in Box 1 the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses you paid during the calendar year. For additional questions on the information provided on your 1098-T, please see Understanding my 1098-T.  

What educational expenses are considered qualified tuition?

Qualified tuition and related expenses include: undergraduate tuition, student fees, technology fees, and general service fees. 

What happens if my Social Security Number is not on file with the College?

College of DuPage must obtain your correct identifying number to file Form 1098-T with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. This will be your Social Security Number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not submit your SSN or ITIN, you will not be denied access to the College; however, you may be subject to IRS civil penalties of $50 for failing to furnish a correct SSN or ITIN.

If your SSN or ITIN is not on file with the College, please complete the Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number Form (Substitute IRS Form W-9S). Please submit the completed form to the Cashier's Office no later than December 15. The form may be submitted in person to the Cashier's Office, located in Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2424, or mailed. Please do not email the form.

Why is there no check mark in Box 8 (“at least half-time)?

Box 8 will not be checked if you did not complete a minimum of six credit hours during an academic term.

Where can I learn more about the Lifetime Learning Credit?

The Lifetime Learning Credit is for qualified tuition and related expenses paid for eligible students. There is no limit on the number of years you can claim the credit. For an overview of the Lifetime Learning Credit, visit

Where can I learn more about the American Opportunity Tax Credit?

The American Opportunity Tax Credit is a credit for qualified education expenses paid for an eligible student for the first four years of postsecondary education. For an overview of the American Opportunity Tax Credit, visit

How much can I claim on my taxes? How do I know what to put on my tax return?

The College cannot give you tax advice. We comply with Federal regulations by annually providing an IRS Form 1098-T to eligible students in late January. Please consult your tax advisor for more information about your particular situation.

I lost my Form 1098-T. How do I obtain another copy?

If you consented to receive the form electronically, you can reprint the form by logging into myACCESS and selecting View My 1098-T Forms under Student Payment Information.

My address listed on the 1098-T has changed. Will this affect me?

If you are receiving the form in the mail, the 1098-T will be sent to the most recent address the College has on file. If your home address on file with the College is incorrect, please update your address with the Office of Student Registration Services, located in SSC 2221, before January 12.

If you elected to receive the 1098-T electronically, the address change does not impact you. The address shown on Form 1098-T is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes. While the address change will not affect your 1098-T if you receive the form electronically, it is still recommended you update your address with the Office of Student Registration Services.

What is COD’s Tax Identification Number?

The COD Federal Identification Number is 36-2594972. This number can also be found on Form 1098-T under "FILER'S federal identification no."

Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

If you have additional questions or concerns about your 1098-T, you can reach the Cashier’s Office via phone at (630) 942-2206 or email at

Please be advised, College of DuPage is prohibited from providing legal, tax, or accounting advice to students and is not responsible for any use you make of this information.

What is the fastest way to receive my Form 1098-T?

We recommend enrolling in electronic delivery of your 1098-T. You will receive the tax form faster and have access to view all of your Form 1098-Ts electronically. To ensure you receive your 1098-T electronically, please provide your consent on myACCESS before January 20.

View steps on how to consent to receive your 1098-T electronically.

Additional Information

For more information about 1098-T and education tax credits, please refer to the IRS website and review the following documents:

Contact Information

Cashier's Office
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2424

Phone Hours

Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
(630) 942-2206

Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Available through email inquiries at
Fax: (630) 942-2909