Law enforcement agencies best serve their communities when they hire the most qualified applicants. In addition to conducting thorough, credible background investigations as part of the candidate selection process, agencies must exercise reasonable care to ensure appointment and hiring practices are responsible and legally defensible.
Instruction includes exploring an applicant's background through various sources, such as military history, online databases and networking sites. Participants explore investigative and interviewing techniques, psychological and behavioral testing, pre-interview procedures, polygraph usage and preparation of the final report and recommendation criteria.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Personnel Review Act
- Medical information and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Policy development and Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA)
- Illinois Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS)
- National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
Feb. 13 to 24, 2023
Monday, Dec. 12, 2022
Monday, April 10, 2023