By Mark Reinhiller
A one-year career with the College of DuPage Chaparrals was all the time Ray Vohasek needed to make an impression upon NCAA Division I football coaches.
Clearly, the University of North Carolina was impressed.
Vohasek, a 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive end, signed during Wednesday's National Letter
of Intent Day to play football for the Tar Heels next season. The McHenry native built
himself into as Power 5 talent and will take his skills to Chapel Hill and play for
the Atlantic Coast Conference Tar Heels and new head coach Mack Brown.
Vohasek played just his freshman season (2017) for the Chaparrals and was the only freshman to start on defense. He led head coach Matt Foster’s team with 7 ½ sacks and 11 tackles for loss.
He sat out this past season due to a shoulder injury that required surgery.
Vohasek joins 11 other Chaparrals, who either signed Wednesday or during the early signing period in December.
- Ray Vohasek (North Carolina — DL, 6-4, 270, McHenry, Ill.)
- Chris Crothers (Ball State — TE, 6-5, 240, Mishawaka, Ind.)
- Thiago Kapps (Western Michigan — PK, 6-0, 190, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil)
- Malik Wells (Louisiana Tech — DL, 6-2, 275 Naperville, Ill.)
- Brian Adkins (Tennessee Martin — DB, 6-0, 190 Streamwood, Ill.)
- Tyler Kyburz (Robert Morris — QB, 6-0, 185, Urbana, Ill.)
- Colton Folliard (Western Illinois — LB, 6-3, 235, McHenry, Ill.)
NCAA Division II
- Noah Benson (Davenport — WR 6-5, 195, Chillicothe, Ill.)
- Alex Daubon (LIU Post — WR, 6-2, 190, Chicago)
- Keith Dixon (Missouri Baptist — WR, 6-3, 195, Maywood, Ill.)
- Jamir Dunbar (Missouri Baptist — DL, 6-2, 265, Palos Heights, Ill.)
- Rashaad Jones (Missouri Baptist — DL, 6-0, 275 Chicago)