Grading Information

Grading Information and Forgiveness Policy

Grades may be accessed online through myACCESS. Final term grades will be posted within 1 week of the course end date.

If you need an official grade report, please complete and submit the Final Grade Report request form.

Questions and/or errors regarding grades must be reported to your instructor or the Division office within 45 days of the end of the semester.


Grading System
Grade Description Grade Points per Credit
A High degree of excellence in achievement 4
B Better than average achievement 3
C Average/acceptable achievement 2
D Minimum standard of achievement 1
S Satisfactory 0
SP Satisfactory/Pass 0
F Failure 0
I Incomplete 0
W Withdrawal 0
X Audit 0
Blank See Below 0
R Repeated course (See #6.) 0


  1. Contact your instructor if you believe the grade assigned for a particular course is not correct.
  2. If the grade is blank and the course was completed by the last day of the term, contact the Office of Student Records at (630) 942-2440/2445. If the course did not end by the last day of the term, the blank is temporary and will be changed to a grade when the instructor submits the grades to the Office of Student Records.
  3. Refer to the College of DuPage Catalog, Academic Information, Academic Policy, for restrictions and time limitations for completion of "I" (incomplete) grades. 
  4. The "S" (satisfactory) grade earns credit but is not computed in the grade point average. The "S" grade may not be changed to a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) nor may a letter grade be changed to "S." Contact the Graduation department at ext. 2261 for restrictions in the applicability of "S" grades toward degree requirements.
  5. The “SP” (satisfactory/pass) grade was issued in the 2020 Spring semester due to the sudden change to remote instruction. It can be used to satisfy any prerequisite and graduation requirement, subject to published degree/certificate limitations.
  6. The "X" (audit) grade does not earn credit and is not computed in the grade point average.
  7. If the grade is "R," it indicates that you were assigned a grade for the same course that was either the same or a higher grade than the grade assigned in that term. "R" grades earn no credit are not calculated into the term or cumulative GPA. The "R" grade ceased being used to indicate repeated courses after the Spring 2009 semester.
  8. Beginning with the Summer 2009 Semester, repeated courses are indicated with a "R" next to the assigned grade on your official transcript. This indicates that you repeated the course and received the same or a higher grade. The cumulative GPA no longer reflects the original grade received as of the term it was retaken. Repeated courses will be granted credit only once except as noted in the "Course Descriptions" section of the Catalog.
  9. Courses that are identified as Repeatable for Credit will have the grade and credit recorded until the allowable maximum credits are earned. Subsequent grades in the same course will not earn credit and will not be included in the cumulative GPA as of the term it was retaken.
  10. Please note the following: Repeats of courses taken before the 1983 Fall Quarter may not be reflected. If you believe the Repeat has not been identified, contact the Office of Student Records at (630) 942-2440/2445.
  11. Beginning with the 1985 Fall Quarter, courses numbered below 100 (example: Math 080) earn credit but are not computed in the GPA. Prior to the 1985 Fall Quarter these courses were computed in the GPA. Please note that credit earned in any course numbered below 100 is not applicable to any degree or certificate at College of DuPage.


Forgiveness Policy

The College of DuPage Forgiveness Policy is for students who have experienced previous academic difficulty at College of DuPage and now wish to build an academic record that is not weakened by past failures. Students are encouraged to re-take classes whenever possible to achieve an improved grade.

Students cannot remove unwanted grades from their transcripts. The college does not guarantee students the right to remove a grade if they don't meet the requirements of one of the policies. The college accepts no responsibility for the ways in which a transfer institution or an employer might interpret a student's use of the forgiveness option or Academic Regulations Committee decision.


  • Forgiveness: "F" grades that are more than five years old.
  • Academic Regulations Committee: "F" grades that are less than five years old.
  • Students meeting the eligibility requirements may apply directly to the Office of Student Records by submitting the Petition for Failing Grades.

Forgiveness Criteria

A student can apply for forgiveness of past "F" grades any time after all of the following policy requirements are met:

  1. Only F grades will be considered.
  2. A period of at least 36 months (3 years) of non-enrollment has elapsed since the end of the last term of grades to be forgiven (excluding non-credit classes).
  3. Upon return, a minimum of 12 consecutive semester hours with no grades of ‘D,’ ‘F,’ ‘S,’ ‘I’ or ‘X’ and no more than two ‘W’ grades must be earned at College of DuPage before forgiveness will be considered . In addition, a student must earn the number of credit hours with a grade of "C" or better equal to the number of credit hours of ‘F’ grades to be forgiven. ‘F’ grades for courses below the 1000- level, which are not included in the GPA, will not be forgiven.
  4. A maximum of 25 quarter hours or 18 semester hours of 1000 level or above will be forgiven.
  5. Forgiveness will be granted one time only for each student. Once Forgiveness is granted, it is permanent. Repeating the course will not affect or change the forgiven grade.

Procedure for Forgiveness

  1. When the eligibility requirements have been fulfilled and forgiveness granted, the student's cumulative grade point average will be recalculated with the 'F' grades removed from the calculation. However, the 'F' grades will remain on the student's official transcript with a notation indicating that the student has been granted forgiveness.
  2. Financial aid eligibility is determined by the Standards of Progress policy for financial aid recipients. If a student is granted academic forgiveness, eligibility for financial aid is not guaranteed.
  3. Students who re-enter the college under academic forgiveness must follow and adhere to terms of the Catalog, including all academic requirements and policies, of the year of re-entry.

Petition for Forgiveness

  1. ARC will only consider 'F' grades issued within the last five years.
  2. Petitions must be made by the student and signed by the student.
  3. A maximum of two petitions to ARC is allowed per student.

Petition for Forgiveness


Contact Information

Office of Student Records
Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 2150

Regular Hours

Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Phone: (630) 942-3838
FAX: (630) 942-3693
Prerequisites: (630) 942-2260

Email contacts:
Student Records:
Official COD Transcripts:
Transcript Evaluation:
High School Transcripts:

Individuals who need language assistance, please call Campus Central at (630) 942-3000 or email