The S.N.O.W. must go on!
Up to S.N.O.W. Good is the winter collection campaign of COD Cares, the campus-wide program for students and staff to participate together in group service activities. COD Cares' mission is to actively support and strengthen College of DuPage communities by fostering a culture of service, raising awareness of community-based organizations, and providing educational opportunities regarding issues that affect residents and students.
To ensure the health and safety of Up to S.N.O.W. Good participants, nonprofit employees and clients, our efforts to Serve the Needs of Others this Winter must look different this year. Online shopping with purchases shipped directly to our partner agencies is strongly encouraged, but the impact of our collective effort to support and raise awareness of the nonprofits that serve our students and residents will be felt throughout Community College District 502 and beyond.
College staff and students, and - for the first time - community members are invited to take part in the Giving Opportunities below. We feel a strong sense of responsibility to react to the changing needs that have grown since COVID-19, so please share this opportunity to give widely.
- Sign up now to receive important communications about Up to S.N.O.W. Good wish lists' needs. You will not be asked to commit to participate at any point.
- Submit a "Why I Give" video to inspire others. Check out the YouTube playlist of recordings made by COD staff and faculty, then upload your own using these instructions.
COVID-19 has transformed holiday wants into winter necessities for many families. Learn how Up to S.N.O.W. Good's invaluable nonprofit partners are meeting the changing needs of our communities in these special Dialogue Over Distance presentations.
- Up to S.N.O.W. Good Virtual Kickoff with President Dr. Brian Caputo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRxk7-OB6jE&t=3s
- "Why We Give": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n626ckADHUo
- "How We Give": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsm5Z4QBq_8&t=2s
Send much-needed items to local nonprofit organizations! The wish lists look a little different this year, but as we've been learning in the Friday webinars, it's more important than ever to make sure they are completely filled.
Instructions for fulfilling wish lists:
- Learn about the organizations. Watch these short videos from our agency partners made just for us.
- Claim your selections from the Google Sheets. Items are first-come, first-served.
- Shop online. Purchases should be delivered directly to the agencies.
- Must include "via COD Cares" in the delivery address.
- Must include "COD Cares" on the gift receipt, if the option is available. Also consider adding a friendly holiday note!
- Last day to purchase items online is Monday, Nov. 30.
- All necessary instructions for claiming and hand-delivering items are located in the respective agency's Google Sheet wish list.
Our nonprofit partners are relying on us and we're really coming through for them! A few wish lists need some more love, however. Please show some support for those that are highlighted.
- 360 Youth Services (teen housing and counseling services)
- Wish list: items for group housing
- Alive Center (teen drop-in center)
- Wish list: art supplies, games
- DuPage County Animal Services
- Wish list: pet supplies
- DuPage Pads (interim and permanent housing support)
- Wish list: single-serving food items
- DuPage Senior Citizens Council
- Wish list: home comfort items
- Glen Ellyn Children's Resource Center (educational support services)
- Wish list: educational materials
- ICNA Relief (Islamic Circle of North America)
- Wish list: winter weather gear
- Metropolitan Family Services
- Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans (housing support for veterans)
- Wish list: household items, clothing
- Naperville Area Humane Society (pet adoption)
- Wish list: pet supplies
- People's Resource Center (responding to hunger and poverty in DuPage County)
- Ronald McDonald House (supports families with hospitalized children)
- Edward Hospital Family Room and Central DuPage Hospital combined wish lists: snacks, toiletries
- Sharing Connections (helps families in need furnish homes)
- Wish list: bedding, household items
- Teen Parent Connection (supporting teen parents and babies)
- Wish list: baby items, teen items
- World Relief DuPage (supports newly arrived immigrants)
- Wish list: educational materials
Sign up to receive important communications about Up to S.N.O.W. Good wish lists and reminders for Friday events!
Send a minimum $10 Target gift card for a local family to use toward a holiday meal or seasonal household essentials. Access Target plastic gift cards here.
- Distributed by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services
- Last day to purchase is Monday, Nov. 30.
- Must include "COD Cares" on the gift receipt. Click "Edit Gift Options" before checkout
- Send directly to: Freke/DCFS (via COD Cares), 325 W. Adams, Villa Park, IL 60181
Mail a minimum $25 Wal-Mart gift card for parents to safely make their children's holiday wishes come true. Access Wal-Mart plastic gift cards here.
- Distributed by Humanitarian Service Project
- Last day to purchase is Monday, Nov. 30
- Send directly to: Humanitarian Service Project (via COD Cares), 465 Randy Rd, Carol Stream, IL 60188
Fridays in November, join colleagues, students and the community for three special *Dialogue Over Distance presentations designed to inspire giving and raise awareness of the needs and services available in Community College District 502.
Broadcasts will be accessible from the top of this page. No need for separate links or registration.
Sign up now to receive important communications about Up to S.N.O.W. Good wish lists and reminders for Friday events! You will not be asked to commit to participate at any point.
Friday, Nov. 6, 12 p.m.
"The S.N.O.W. Must Go On" Virtual Kickoff and SNOW-Off! Trivia Game
College of DuPage President Dr. Brian Caputo ushers in the giving season alongside campaign hosts Specialized Testing Services Coordinator Jarret Dyer and Tutoring Services Sandra Marchetti. Learn about partner agencies and check out the first-ever SNOW-Off! Trivia Game. Winner will receive a $25 Starbucks gift card.
Friday, Nov. 13, 12 p.m.
Why We Give: A Special Dialogue Over Distance
Learn why supporting community agencies is important through life-changing stories about clients receiving services from Up to S.N.O.W. Good's nonprofit partners.
Friday, Nov. 20, 12 p.m.
How We Give: A Special Dialogue Over Distance
COVID-19 has transformed holiday wants into winter necessities for many families. Learn how Up to S.N.O.W. Good's invaluable nonprofit partners are meeting the changing needs of our communities.
Friday, Nov. 27
Take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales!
Monday, Nov. 30
Last day to purchase items or gift cards.
*Dialogue Over Distance: The community benefits from the passion and experience of COD's enthusiastic faculty, administrators and staff through timely, thought-provoking webinars. More information and upcoming sessions at www.cod.edu/experts.
A primary function of COD Cares is to provide information about volunteering and supporting local communities. Here are some links to valuable resources.
- Giving DuPage
- Search for volunteer opportunities
- DuPage CRIS (Community Resource Information System)
- Online directory of local service providers
- Impact DuPage
- Community-wide data center
- DuPage Federation on Human Services Reform
- Collaboration of government and key community organizations that identify ways a local community can address its human services needs
- Expanded to include more than 1000 participants providing time and donations
- Increased number of community partnerships and internal departments/clubs; 21 wish lists were fulfilled by 25 departments/clubs
- 125 tags taken equating to nearly $2000 in grocery gift cards donated to be used toward holiday meals
- 1800 gifts wrapped:
- 800 gifts for children through the tag drive
- 500 travel-size toiletries wrapped and donated to veterans without shelter
- 500 coloring books for young clients of social service agency
- 200 warming packages for people without shelter
- 200 no-bake dog treats for humane society
- 150 holiday cards for veterans and seniors
- 100 seasonal crafts for senior residents
Community Relations Coordinator