Thank you for your interest in Service Learning at College of DuPage. Service learning is a successful teaching pedagogy that has enjoyed much success in curriculums and learning institutions at the college and nationwide.
In addition to higher education, many high schools are now incorporating tenets of service learning into their courses and, as a result, many students are entering COD with an understanding of hands-on learning.
It is our goal to turn a student's hands-on work experience into a beneficial learning experience that incorporates your course goals while filling a community need.
Benefits for Faculty
- Supplements the educational experience being provided by the faculty.
- Allows the faculty to give back to the community through its students.
- Provides an opportunity for the community to view the faculty as a resource.
- Gives students the opportunity to connect classroom theory and practice to a community need.
- Brings the community into the classroom.
- Teaches citizenship and social responsibility to the students.
- Students learn cross cultural communication.
- Increases student retention by helping them develop a sense of community within the class.
The following syllabi are from courses at College of DuPage and are available for viewing:
To become a Service Learning Faculty Member, contact Krystina LaSorsa, Assistant Manager to discuss this opportunity.
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Phone: (630) 942-2230
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.