All Presidential Scholars are required to complete twenty hours of approved volunteer service during the first year of the scholarship. Scholars will work with the Career Services office to fulfill this requirement. Scholars can fulfill the 20 hours of service using one of the following methods:
College of DuPage offers a number of service learning courses that bridge volunteer service with academic learning. Courses generally require students in the class to complete twenty hours of service to meet course requirements. Service Learning courses are taught in a number of disciplines.
Presidential Scholars may choose to fulfill the twenty hours of service at a location of his or her choosing. Students who select this option will need to have the service site approved by Career Services. Scholars will receive detailed information about how to gain approval for a site within the first few weeks of the fall term.
Please note the following Presidential Scholars Service Requirements
- All hours must be completed during the first year to qualify for a second year award.
- Scholars may only count service hours that occur after the first day of Fall Semester (August 23,2021).
- All service hours must be completed by Friday, May 6, 2022.
- All twenty service hours must be completed at a single site location that meets the
- Must be a not-for-profit or 501c3 organization
- Must be an organization whose mission and work address community needs
- Must either be an official College of DuPage service learning partner or be approved by the Career Services Center
- Volunteer work at the service site may not involve the teaching of any religious ideologies (i.e. teaching Sunday school, leading a youth group, etc.)
- Service sites not approved by the Career Services Center may not count towards the twenty hour service requirement.
- Service for the 2020-2021 academic year will be virtual.