7 S 721 Rte. 53
Naperville, IL 60540 (Woodridge township)
Name and Position of Contact Person:
Lisa Snow, Community Outreach Coordinator
** Email is preferred choice of communication
Days/Hours Available for Service Learners:
Available volunteer shifts between the hours of 10 a.m. & 7 p.m. (limit of 2 hours/day)You will be part of a web based volunteer scheduling system.
Description of Organization:
Almost Home Kids located in unincorporated Naperville (Lisle/Woodridge Township) IL, provides a Transitional Health Care Program for children ages infant to 21 years of age who are medically fragile but are ready to be discharged from the hospital. In a comforting, homelike setting, children receive 24-hour medical and nursing care from pediatric nurses. We are a bridge between hospital (NICU & PICU) and home. Please look at our website www.AlmostHomeKids.org before deciding if you would be comfortable in this setting and to determine if AHK is the right place for you to volunteer. I will be registering students at the COD Service Learning Fair!
Description of Service Learner Role:
Interact appropriately with a child who is medically fragile according to the age of development and capabilities of the child. Engage the children with sensory toys, board games, reading books, music, rocking babies and providing companionship. Many of our children rely on quite a bit of technology for their daily existence (trachs, ventilators, heart monitors & feeding tubes) and often are not verbal or mobile, so that is something you would need to be comfortable with.
- • Complete an on-line application form on the AHK website (Priority will be given
to students that can attend the SL Fair & can meet the AHK representative)
• Attend a Volunteer Orientation at the AHK Naperville (will be contacted by Lisa Snow regarding orientation date after the Service Leaning Fair)
• Documentation of a current negative TB test (within last 12 months) before the Orientation
• Documentation of an annual Flu shot – October 1st to May 1st before the Orientation
• Background check with DCFS (agency will file)
• Color copy of Driver's License (front side only)
• Commitment to volunteer schedule of a minimum of 4 hours/month for a minimum of 4 consecutive months
• Understanding of children with special medical needs
Number of Placements Available:
8 per semester
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.